Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Thread About Help Picking Out New Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CroMagnon

CroMagnon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:15 AM

So I already had a thread asking which laptops work best with Linux Lite, but I was told just about everything will and to post here for help with something more specific. So here I am! My previous thread in a nutshell: I'll mostly be using my laptop for writing and research, occasionally photo/video editing, nothing professional or high-tech. Definitely no touchscreen, no warranties or customer support needed, preferably just something blank so I don't have to struggle through uninstalling Windows. I don't want anything used, but not something brand new either. Just fast and durable.

A 100GB SSD hard drive sounds good; I've read those withstand bumps and tumbles better because they have less moving parts, but I don't need much memory with most of my files just on flash drives. Thus at least 2 USB ports are a must, plus an SD card slot, a disk drive, a screen that lights up, and working speakers. Any other requirements....nope I think that's it, ideally a new but not-too-new blank laptop with graphics, audio, ports and disk drive, and an....adequate hard drive? I really have no idea if 100GB is a little or a lot. But that's why I'm here, to have people more technologically adept pick out my perfect laptop! And hopefully for under $500.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 23 May 2016 - 07:27 PM.
Moved from External hardware to 'Questions / Advice for a new computer'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,345 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

You can try this site along with Amazon and try the searches to see what you can come up with.  Buying an SSD from an OEM is usually kinda expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:35 PM

Laptop manufactures don't put SSDs in laptops under 700$.

Which is weird because a 120GB SSD is 50$ (a cheap 240GB SSD is about 65$), and a 500GB laptop mechanical drive is also 50$. So you'd think you'd be able to find one that has it for no extra cost right? Wrong, they add it in and charge three times what it's worth just to be in there. On top of only putting them in already pricey systems. 

So yeahhhh that's a thing. It's like when they do nothing but tack the word "gaming" onto the end of the laptop/desktop/paraphernalia, and then proceed to mark it up by 50 to 100% just for that reason. Literally will do nothing but add the "gaming" and maybe a few 2 cent LEDs around the thing. 

SSD's are also one of those money trigger words used to inflate computer prices, much like both "i7" and "gaming" are "SSD" also is. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 CroMagnon

CroMagnon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:10 AM

Laptop manufactures don't put SSDs in laptops under 700$.

Which is weird because a 120GB SSD is 50$ (a cheap 240GB SSD is about 65$), and a 500GB laptop mechanical drive is also 50$. So you'd think you'd be able to find one that has it for no extra cost right? Wrong, they add it in and charge three times what it's worth just to be in there. On top of only putting them in already pricey systems. 

So yeahhhh that's a thing. It's like when they do nothing but tack the word "gaming" onto the end of the laptop/desktop/paraphernalia, and then proceed to mark it up by 50 to 100% just for that reason. Literally will do nothing but add the "gaming" and maybe a few 2 cent LEDs around the thing. 

SSD's are also one of those money trigger words used to inflate computer prices, much like both "i7" and "gaming" are "SSD" also is. 

Well then I ain't getting an SSD, now am I? Sure as hell refuse to spend that much. Can't spend money I don't have. Is there really that much of a difference in performance or durability between hard drives anyway?

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

Is there really that much of a difference in performance or durability between hard drives anyway?

There is a huge difference. It's night and day. Both performance and durability wise. 

For performance, people will simply put an SSD in their old computer to make it run fast instead of buying a new computer. CPU speed makes little to no difference nowadays for day to day activities.

If your computer is slow to start up, if programs lag while trying to open them, if your video folder is being slow to update the preview image on the files, if saving large edited files is slow, if you're just plain tired of waiting- I can guarantee it's that the computer is waiting on the slow mechanical hard drive to do all those tasks.

Replacing it with an SDD will make almost any computer feel ridiculously fast. People always seem to assume their computer is slow because of the CPU. T Hat's not the case, and hasn't been for a very long time in most, at least, semi modern computers (think post 2006). You can have the most powerful desktop CPU made, but if the hard drive is slow it's going to make everything feel extremely sluggish.  

Not only is the SSD insanely fast compared to a mechanical drive, but it's much much more durable. SSDs, unlike mechanical drive, have no moving parts and can take a lot more abuse then a mechanical drive can. Ideally, you're not suppose to even move a laptop with a mechanical drive while it's on. However a laptop with a SSD in it can be moved however which way you feel like and be fine. 

On top of all that, SSDs use a lot less power then mechanical drives. It doesn't really make a difference for a desktop, but in alaptop I've personally seen it bump a laptop with 6 hour max battery life, up to a 8 hour battery life. 

To summarize. After you find the laptop you want to use, install a SSD.

Look for a laptop that has a service panel on the bottom of it if you have the choice. Then instead of taking apart the entire laptop just to get to the drive (and probably having to take it to someone to do that for you), you can just undo one or two screws, remove the panel, take out the hard drive, and pop the new one in. A lot of SSD manufactures will include a tool in the box with the SSD to easily copy windows over without having to reinstall the thing by yourself (cheaper ones don't to keep the price down), but seeing as you'd be taking windows off and installing Linux anyways, having a blank drive to work with would be a advantage instead of a crutch XD

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users