Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to safely remove some old hard disk after moving to Win 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Newbie1011

Newbie1011

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:16 AM

Hi there

I had several hard disks on which I had Windows 7 loaded.
I had also taken some backups of the Comlete system running into 100 gb at some point of time

I have recently installed a Ssd and have moved to Win 10 64 bit OS on it ( it was not a clean install and I upgraded using the Win 10 utility)
I still have 2 hard disks of 500 Gb each in the system which I want to remove as they are outdated and I have taken a new higher capacity HDD
At present I am facing no problems, but I am wondering if I can just format the 2 500 gb HDDs or they may still be having some files which are linked to my current OS

Is there any way to check if it is safe to remove the HDDs without any disruption to the windows 10 OS

Thanks for advising

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:09 AM

I highly doubt there are any Windows 10 System Files on those two drives. You can double check by pulling your power and holding down the power button for 30 seconds. Remove the side panel. Touch some bare metal on the case. Pull the power cables to two 500GB drives. Power up the the computer and see if it boots properly.

If you explore the two drives and only have data files on them then they would be okay to format once your data is backed up. I would allow viewing hidden and system files. Look for any system files on the drive.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

#3 Newbie1011

Newbie1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hi there

As I have mentioned earlier, these drives contains backup files of the Win 7 OS at some point of time.
So I am sure that there would be system files in them but the question is whether they are relevant to the existing OS which is on a separate new SSD now

Other then physically removing the power cable from the drives, is there any other method to ascertain the same ?

Thanks for advising

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

The only way to be absolutely sure would be to disconnect the drives but you should be able to tell by looking at the contents of the drives. If as you say they only have backup image files on the drives then you should be fine formatting them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users