Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exchange

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:42 AM

Hi just wondering if i have a corrupt PST and i deleter it on the local machine, when i open up outlook again then and put in the details exchange will recreat the profile is that always the case? i dont have an issue at the moment but just so i know going forward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

If it is using exchange protocol, yes. To check navigate to %userprofile%\apdata\local\micrsoft\outlook there should be a *.ost file with the same name as the outlook profile. The ost is recreated when the profile is recreated. Also you can create a new mail profile using the mail center in the controll panel.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 May 2016 - 10:07 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:31 AM

You'll want to check whether your Exchange configuration allows users to create .pst files. This is usually just for email archiving with Exchange. If not, there will be an .ost file

When user mailboxes became very large, the .ost file can start having issues similar to .pst corruption. The fix is to close Outlook, navigate to where the .ost file is located, rename it <file>.ost.bak or .ost.old, and then reboot and reopen Outlook. Outlook will rebuild the .ost file by pulling down everything from the Exchange server.

#4 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:00 AM

ok thanks thats good to know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users