Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format And Installation Problems Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pixie1968dust

Pixie1968dust

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:54 PM

At the moment I'm having some problems with my Compaq Presario R3000 laptop as follows:-

Firstly sometimes it doesn't even recognise that I have a hard drive at all but after turning it off and leaving it a while it will suddenly decide I DO have a hard drive.

Secondly it won't let me reformat my hard drive, I keep getting a windows STOP message on the horrid BLUE SCREEN as follows:-

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0X00000050 (0XE5976AC0, 0X00000000, 0XF91EECA, 0X00000002)

setupdd.sys - Address F91EE7CA base at F91C5000, Datestamp 41107C8f

Now I have not idea what all that means, so some help would be appreciated!

Also I can't get my laptop to go into SAFEMODE as using F8 doesn't work on it and I haven't a clue how to do it myself.

Anyways, any help gratefully appreciated...

Pixie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

How are you trying to reformat? Exactly how are you doing it, using the original XP installation (recovery) disks or some other method?

You are receiving a stop error, in your case error number 0x00000050, or 0x50 for short. Information regarding the possible causes, how to troubleshoot, and how to recover from this error can be found HERE. Scroll down the page until you see 0x00000050.

Just a warning: this may not be easy to diagnose. You will need to read VERY carefully, and follow instrucitions very closely. Please ask questions here if you get stuck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Pixie1968dust

Pixie1968dust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

I can't get my computer to go into SAFEMODE to see if I can fix my problem. No amount of F8 pressing will get it to do it, computer just beeps a lot and does nothing. I can get the Setup programme to load from the CD I got with my computer for but it won't Repair or let me Format. It keeps saying my hard drive isn't accessable or it can't delete the only partition either as it says it can't access it and then I get the Blue Screen message. All the ways to see if I can fix things seem to bank on you getting into SAFEMODE first. If I can't do that then how am I to fix anything? Do you think I need a new hard drive?

Pixie.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

Download the appropriate set of Windows XP Installation boot disks here:

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

#5 Pixie1968dust

Pixie1968dust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:56 AM

Erm Boot Disk idea is all well and good but the computer I am trying to fix doesn't do floppy disks as it doesn't have a floppy drive at all. Can you put the Boot stuff on a CD instead? Just asking because the link for Boot Disks didn't say anything about saving the stuff to a CD.

I have a feeling nothing short of a new hard drive is going to fix my problem, having tried lots of things so far and still feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. I can't reformat using the Windows Setup CD, I can't use the Recovery Console to fix things and I can't get Windows to reinstall - it just keeps saying the drive isn't accessable, which to me sounds like it's a knackered hard drive.

Any other ideas still welcome though but failing all that I will get a new hard drive at the beginning of next month. Pretty sure that will fix things...

Pixie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users