Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Pf Usage Slowing Down My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Melon109

Melon109

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:30 AM

I have a Windows 98, with the software upgraded to XP Home edition. Recently, it has been running really slow, and I do not know what it is. The CPU usage is often under 10%, but the PF usage is very high, often at 300MB. I do not know if this is slowing me down. If it is, please tell me how I can make it go lower, or how to make it go faster. Then again, it might be my processor, but I don't think so...
STUPID PIECE OF PLASTIC! ARRGGG!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:53 PM

Have you checked the system for viruses and spyware?
That typically is the #1 reason for overall system slowness.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:42 PM

Page file usage goes up if you do not have sufficient memory for what's running. It has little to do with processor usage, since you could have fifteen programs open and not currently doing anything. For instance, if you open up a Word file, the processor is used for a short time while it opens, but then has little to do. Then you open a browser - again, once it's open, the processor isn't doing much. But open too many things, which are actually being stored in memory while in use, and you run out of space in your RAM, and Windows starts passing more off to the hard drive, which is far slower than system memory. Yes, this will slow your computer down considerably. As Eyesee says, activity by unwanted programs may be running stealthily and accounting for some of the problem.

Since you've upgraded to XP Home, you no longer have Windows 98, unless you're running a dual boot system. Windows 98 required far less system memory (RAM) than does XP. It's recommended that you have a minimum of 512 MB by most people - and I've seen file corruption in the operating system far more often when running 256 MB than in systems with sufficient memory. Checking the amount of page file usage, I find that systems with 512 MB of RAM are actually using more than 256 MB with no programs open - just Windows XP and background tasks. This means that systems with only 256 MB are topped out before any programs are even opened.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:43 PM

Another thought - if you retained the Windows 98 filesystem when you upgraded - FAT32 instead of switching to NTFS - it does use hard drive space better. (But it's not as stable.)

#5 Melon109

Melon109
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:59 AM

Ok thanks. I did check my computer for viruses (with Norton) and found none. I now understand that I need to purchase more memory. Do you know where I can buy cheap 1 Gigs? I know that 512 is minimum, but I would like it to be faster than that.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:39 PM

Hi Melon109.

While replacing RAM modules is a fairly easy operation, see HERE, the trick is to make sure that what you buy is compatible with your motherboard, so don't rush into it.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 Melon109

Melon109
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:36 AM

I already found out that. But, because I have a Dimension R series (450), I can only hold about 300 something RAM. AHH! I think I will just buy a new computer. A nice one, with dual processors. Thanks for the help though. I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users