Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash Player update screwed up Youtube

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:23 AM

Okay, so over the passed few months when I had time, I updated the out-of-date Adobe Flash Player on this computer, with no problems at all.

Today I updated to the next version and then Youtube videos won't play; it's nothing but a black screen.  So I tried updating another version higher and uninstalling the previous one; same problem with Youtube videos.

So I uninstalled that and went back and installed the version I was at that I had no problems with and I still can't see Youtube videos.

I've cleared the Youtube, Google, and Adbobe cookies with no success.  I've restarted twice with no success.  I've run Temp File Cleaner and still had no success.

I also tried emptying the Flash Player cahce (but did not restart).

That was all I did, no other hardware/software/or programs or updates.

What now?

Windows Vista
Internet Explorer 7
(so sue me; I think Edge was designed to piss people off on purpose)

Edited by tharpdevenport, 23 May 2016 - 01:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:43 AM

Hi tharpdevenport,

Please don't hold me to this, but from my understanding youtube now uses html5 not flash

your IE 7 does not support html5, but IE 9 does, so maybe time for an upgrade

Edge is only available on Win10 so you might think about upgrading all the way to IE 11

There are some ways to force flash but they are long and complicated (google)not really worth it

Hope that helps a little

Hedge 

#3 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:46 AM

Let me reiterate: everything was fine until the update I did today.  IE7 was playing youtube fine, I didnm't have to force anything.  The update screwed something up and going back to the previous version didn't help.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:05 AM

Hi tharpdevenport,

I understand your point, but if an upgrade to IE 9+ solves the problem isn't that a fix (or worth a try)

And I'm sure you understand the security issues with using old/out of date browsers (particularly IE)

Hedge   

#5 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:12 AM

Dear ladies and gentlemen, something bothered me about my update: the previous version said ActiveX by it.  Out of reasonalbe options, I went back and downloaded it gain, this time choosing the Windows ActiveX version from the zip folder from Adobe.com, and the issue was solved.  Youtube videos are now playing again.

Yes, it was not an issue with IE7.  The zip folder has a win and a winax Windows Installer Package.  Apparently ActiveX made the important difference.  I hope this helps somebody in the future!

At least it's not like some sites telling me JAvascript isn't enabled and when IT IS.

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:50 AM

To Update Flash Player to the latest version visit here

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

After filling in the appropriate selections it will download an .exe, and saves all the above problems

HTH  Hedge

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

As a piece of advice for the future, you might want to consider trying chrome or firefox for a browser in future, you can download either and give it a test, see if you like it. You'll probably find them to be faster than internet explorer(any version of it), they'll support html 5 and flash, and google chrome contains flash internally rather than as a plugin you have to download and update separately. Also using chrome or firefox gives you better security, internet explorer(especially old versions and especially with flash player) is very vulnerable to driveby infections.

Edited by rp88, 23 May 2016 - 10:48 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users