Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk read error occured Press ctrl, Alt, Del to restart

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lewisn01

lewisn01

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:14 AM

Hi

a few months ago I got hit by the telescript ransom virus 4.0, so I took all my locked files and put them in the cloud, I did not delete them from my computer but about 5 days before you guys announced you had the codes to unlock the files I received the above error on my computer when I turned it on, so now I am in limbo because I can't get past this screen to be able to unlock my files.  I have one other laptop at home but I don't want to risk using it to unlock the files if a virus transfers across?!

I also took it to a computer shop and they said tey would look at it and then never touched it for over a week until I chased them and then I got the feeling they really weren't interested because it had been hit by this virus, they said they couldn't get into the computer to anything at all, yet I can get into the f2 screen.  They saud the harddrive is finished and the laptop is too old to put time into it (4 years old) they pointed out that when I buy a replacement I should come to them for a deal on a new laptop!

any ideas, I don't have a start up disc because it came preloaded, and I don't seem to know anyone who knows where theirs is!  its a Lenovo with windowsxp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:49 AM

Start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the hard drive tests.

If the hard drive fails the extensive/long test - then you'd have to get a new hard drive (and a copy of Windows to install on it)

Can you read the product key sticker on the system?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 lewisn01

lewisn01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

I can't actually get past the disk error page so do I some how gets these diagnostics onto a disk to put in the computer?

thanks so much for your help

#4 lewisn01

lewisn01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

oops sorry, used the link and see the instructions, thanks!!

#5 lewisn01

lewisn01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

thanks so much I am running tests now!!  those steps where so easy you wouldn't believe how much time I have spent on other forums trying to follow instructions and I just couldn't do it!! 

Unfortunately I can' read the product key on my laptop, it has worn off my I can on my husbands laptop does that help?  you can tell I have no computer knowledge other than press the power button and it turns on!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

You can't use product keys from other systems.  You would likely have to purchase another XP product key if you have to reinstall Windows.

You can usually get away cheaper if you can get a set of recovery disks from the manufacturer that built the system (they embed a generic key in the installer).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 lewisn01

lewisn01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

ok so the test result for the memory was fine but for the hard drive it just sad "no hard drive found"  guessing that is not good news, I used the Seagate tool

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:10 AM

No, the no hard drive found error can just be a setting in your BIOS.

I'd suggest entering the BIOS and looking for the AHCI setting.

Then switch it to the other mode (I can't recall what it's called), save the settings in the BIOS, and then try the SeaGate test again.
FYI - if you switch AHCI the system won't boot to Windows - so you'll have to remember to switch it back (or it'll mess things up when you do actually try to get back into Windows).

More detailed info on the AHCI here:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/313457-seatools-dos-windows-how-use.html#Part3

#9 lewisn01

lewisn01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:55 AM

thanks so much that worked, now it has said there is a "bad sector" and repair was unsucessful, so that probably means hard drive is dead?  is there anyway to get files off the computer, it says now is a good time to back up files

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

Yes, the hard drive is likely dead/dying.  You may/may not be able to recover your files - depending on just how dead/dying the hard drive is.

FYI - each time you turn the computer on, the more likely it is that the hard drive will completely die (and then the cost for data recovery will go up significantly).

Don't use the computer until you're ready to backup what you can.

You'll need a bootable OS and an external drive to write the files to.
Most of the data will be in the My Documents folder - but on XP they're scattered more than on the later versions of Windows.

You'll have to have a good idea of what you want to recover.

Then, you boot from the bootable OS, and use it to copy the data from the old hard drive to the external hard drive.

If you're uncertain about this, you can see if a local computer shop will do it for you.  Prices in my area (southeastern CT, USA) range from $80 to $100 plus the cost of an external hard drive (if you don't have one).

Most places won't charge if they can't recovery anything - but ask about this first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users