Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pausing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Birdy3_uk

Birdy3_uk

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2004 - 03:33 PM

Hi. THis amy sound like a kinda stupid prob but its hard to explain.
basically whenever the lght on the front of my computer flashes, the orange one that means the computers doing something stuff pauses.

For example if Im listening to a song in Windows media player, or anything else the computer obviously has to "work" to play the saved file so for the first half of the song it pauses every 2 seconds or so for a half second until the whole osng is loaded then it play fine again. it also happens with games..They pause all the time for a split second.

This is obviously something to do with the computer "thinking" (as it were) and "doing" at the same time. but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2004 - 06:04 PM

Questions about "kinda stupid" problems are the smartest ones to ask, Birdy 3.
What kind of computer?
What kind of operating system, version...?
Has it always done this?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Birdy3_uk

Birdy3_uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2004 - 06:13 PM

cheers for the reply phawgg,

Im not very computer literate so appologies if I get the wrong end of the stick with anything.

i've got a Medion MT 125/intel pentium 4 etc., with Windows XP home.

it hasn't always done this no, I cant think of when it started to occur...which is unfortunate really cuz that may have helpew me resolve it.

let us know if u need 2know anything else becasue I prob told you loadsa uselsess info there.

Cheers Birdy3_uk

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2004 - 06:31 PM

This is obviously something to do with the computer "thinking" (as it were) and "doing" at the same time. but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I find that a perfectly adequate description. I have experienced this:
In windows media player, if it is adding a song to the library while playing it, it will stutter, the visualization (if showing full screen) will freeze and this may occur 2-3 times in the first minute of the song. Ever since version 8. (I find no similar flaws in iTunes, winAmp, or dbPoweramp, however)

The symptoms you describe also match those that often accompany malware related problems. Sometimes, even offline, they manifest themselves in extraneous background activity that disrupts normal procedures.

Your computer is not inadequate for the tasks you ask it to do, IMO, especially since

it hasn't always done this no, I cant think of when it started to occur.

If it began close to installation of any software, then that software is suspect. Same with updates. Sometimes the drivers, software for running a wide variety of programs, will go outta date in relationship to what you now run. It's possible.

I think we should try to rule out malware.

To answer your question will will need to analyze a report you give us about your computer's problem. You will use a small program to generate the report and post it so we all can see it as we go about fixing it.
Create a new folder on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A folder like c:\HJT. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

start-->My Computer-->C:\ local disk-->File-->Folder-->New-->name it HJT.
Download HijackThis 1.98.2. Next, click or double click the .zip folder. Extract all files-->ExtractionWizard opens-->next-->browse-->My Computer-->(C:)-->HJT-->OK-->next-->finish.

HijackThis Download Site
Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post by clicking "new topic button" at this link location. Right click in message area and select "paste" to paste the log into the post. When you see the log, then type in your comments to us about your particular problem. Please be patient with us, as everyone doing the analysis' are volunteers.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Birdy3_uk

Birdy3_uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:12 PM

Cheers for the fast reply phawgg,
I've done that lets see where that leads.

Thanks again, Birdy3_uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users