Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get rid of duplicate folder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:32 PM

This is something that must be unique to Windows 10. When it first came up, I had posted here but I can't find the thread. I now have more information that should help resolve this issue. 

Basically, when I had used a previous operating system on Windows (the most recent one I had had before purchasing this new computer was Vista) and wanted to copy a folder from a flash drive, I would simply drag the folder to the location I was interested in copying to. I can still do that with Windows 10 but have a new complication: I had the following  folder with the Path   This PC > (E:/) > Mark > USB Drive > Mark > PAC >Shipments and was working with this file within the folder: 80115 (autosaved).  I see part of the problem already: I had assumed that this folder was on my flash drive (E:/) and it appears to be on This PC, meaning it is on the computer itself. It is also present on my flash drive (E:) and I was trying to copy it from the flash drive to the following folder on the computer: This PC > (E:/) > Mark > USB Drive > Mark > PAC > Shipments.

I'm not sure what had happened but somehow the referenced Flashdrive file was copied to the computer and has created a separate folder.  So now I have the following tree on the computer:

Desktop

Downloads

Documents

Pictures

Shipments (This is the folder with the path: This PC > Mark > PAC > Shipments)

Shipments (This is the folder with the path: This PC > (E:/) > Mark > USB Drive > Mark > PAC > Shipments)

When I look at my Flash drive folder path for this file, it  also reads: This PC > (E:/) > Mark > USB Drive > Mark > PAC >Shipments

(which is the identical folder name for the second Shipments folder directly above).

Here's my question: I only want the Folder This PC > (E:/) > Mark > USB Drive > Mark > PAC >Shipments in my E:drive not in the This PC Folder because I simply want it to stay on the flash drive. Otherwise I have two identical Shipment folders on the PC with two separate paths.

I right clicked on This PC > (E:/) > Mark > USB Drive > Mark > PAC > Shipments) and the delete option didn't come up. I want to delete that folder from the computer but not from the flash drive and am not sure how to do this. I don't want to play around with it and end up deleting the folder from my flash drive as I'm not sure how to fully navigate with Windows 10 at this time, so I had thought I had better ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:39 PM

I think I had solved the problem. When I had looked at the folder more closely, I had noticed that it was under something called Quick Access. That told me that it wasn't a duplicate folder but simply a folder that was listed under quick access. When I right clicked on it, I was given the option to remove that folder from Quick Access. When I did so, it disappeared from the Quick Access menu and left the folder I planned to work with: This PC > Mark > PAC > Shipments.

The Travel Drive duplicate folder still remains in the (E:) drive, so the problem appears solved.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614149/cant-delete-certain-folders-in-windows-10/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users