Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot create "My Documents" folder under users

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:27 PM

I am missing "My Documents" folder under user name in C drive.  I try to create one but it says "This destination already containsa folder named "'My Documents'  but there is not one to be found.  I clicked show all hidden folders but nothing appears.  Am I losing myself?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:52 PM

It is there, but it is a super-hidden system folder and one you should not be tampering with. It has since been renamed to Documents. The same goes for the other libraries that were once called My Music, My Pictures etc, now they're simply Music, Pictures and so on. Do you see the Documents folder in C:\Users\<username>\ ?

#3 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

It is there, but it is a super-hidden system folder and one you should not be tampering with. It has since been renamed to Documents. The same goes for the other libraries that were once called My Music, My Pictures etc, now they're simply Music, Pictures and so on. Do you see the Documents folder in C:\Users\<username>\ ?

I don't see any of the folders (My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos) there.  I think I must have deleted them when I redirected them to the D: drive.  I right clicked and create new ones.  It worked for My Music, My Pictures and My Videos.  It did not work for My Documents because it says it is there but I dont see it.  Something funky happened.

Nevermind, I waited a bit and it re-appeared,  I have NO IDEA what happened.

Edited by irvineboy, 22 May 2016 - 11:58 PM.

#4 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:24 AM

It didn't work for My Documents because there is a super-hidden junction or symbolic link of the same name, which is used to redirect legacy applications to the Documents folder when they request for the old My Documents folder. Look at the attached screenshot of the user profile directory. You'll notice the Documents folder exists and so does the My Documents junction, which is a little faded (like other hidden files) and if you tried to open it you'll get an access denied error message. That's because it's owned by SYSTEM and is a protected system file (super hidden). This junction was introduced in Vista ever since the My Documents (in XP and earlier) folder was renamed to Documents. It is best that you do not attempt to modify that junction in any way. By attempting to create a folder called My Documents in the same location, you attempt to replace the junction of the same name.

Attached Files

Edited by Stancestans, 23 May 2016 - 12:27 AM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Creating multiple topics about the same issue is confusing for you, those helping you and can hinder the help process.

To avoid confusion, help will be given in your topic here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614766/libraries-issue/

This one is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users