Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Hid

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steffen ernst

steffen ernst

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

I can`t start service "HID"

Maybe I need to download a missing file ?

Best Regards

Steffen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

Is this what you are asking about?

Human Interface Device Access [SP2 Terminology]
HID Input Service [Pre SP2 Terminology]
Service Name HidServ Process Name svchost.exe -k netsvcs
Default Settings XP Home : Disabled XP Pro : Disabled
Microsoft Service Description Enables generic input access to Human Interface Devices (HID), which activates and maintains the use of predefined hot buttons on keyboards, remote controls, and other multimedia devices. If this service is stopped, hot buttons controlled by this service will no longer function. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Dependencies Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Real World Description If you have a peripheral that uses the items mentioned in the description above this is what lets it work.
Is this service needed?

Possibly

Recommended Setting:

Manual
Note Updated to reflect SP2 changes.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 steffen ernst

steffen ernst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

Yes, this is the service, I want to start. But when I try to do that, it comes up with : "Error 2, the file could not be found"

So , can You tell me how I can get the missing file.

I have tried sfc /scannow , but it did not help.

best reg
steffen

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

Do you have XP Pro or XP Home and has it been updated to SP2?

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

Found this on the net. Enthusiast may have another idea that want require going into the registry.

Jun 29, 2006 3:49 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if either one of you are still having a problem with this, but I've just recently had the same issue and I solved it today. It's a registry key issue. I found the service wasn't working and when i tried to start it, I was getting the "Error 2" message saying the file couldn't be found. There are two registry keys that point to the hidserv.dll file. "HKLM/SYSTEM/CONTROLSET001/SERVICES/HIDserv/Parameters" and "HKLM/SYSTEM/CONTROLSET002/SERVICES/HIDserv/Parameters". Each should contain an "Expandable String Value" (REG_EXPAND_SZ) with the value:

%SystemRoot%\System32\hidserv.dll

I found that out by looking at the same entries on another laptop of mine that could start the HID service. The key entries were missing from the one that wouldn't start the service, but after I added them back in, the service started just fine.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 steffen ernst

steffen ernst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:32 PM

I have xp home, updated to sp2 long time ago.

I put %SystemRoot%\System32\hidserv.dll into "HKLM/SYSTEM/CONTROLSET001/SERVICES/HIDserv/Parameters" as "Expandable String Value".
What is more strange, is that I do not have "HKLM/SYSTEM/CONTROLSET002
at all. I have 001, 003, 004 and current controlSet, but NOT 002 ???

I still get the error 2 message when trying to start HID

Best regards
Steffen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users