Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Libraries issue

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:16 PM

I have two partitions in my computer.  I want to change my libraries (My Documents, Videos, Music, Downloads, etc) to D drive instead of the default C drive which has all my Windows 64 bit files on)  So next time my computer crashes, I can reformat and not lose all my files on the D drive.  So I was told to go to my bottom left windows button, go to my name and right click each of the folders and go to the Location tab and change it to D:

I followed these instructions:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2079571/move-your-libraries-to-a-second-drive-or-partition.html

I accidentally change the location for both "My Documents" and "My Music" to "D:/Music" so now both documents and music files are going to the My Music folder in the D drive.  Even when I change the location back, both are acting as one folder.  I tried deleting them and creating new folders under my Computer in my name.  But it tells me that "My Documents" folder already exist but I'm confused because cannot see it.

Now I show 2 "My Documents" folders.  One is customize tab to "general" and the other is customize tab to "music" but both are acting as one folder.  IF I change one location, it automatically changes the other's location so Music and Documents are acting as one folder now!?!?!?

I cannot even see "My Documents" on the left side of the windows explorer under Libraries.  What is going on?
How do I change it back to default?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 May 2016 - 09:53 PM.
deleted unnecessary text and links

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

I was pretty aware of what was going until you started talking about Documents and Music... I'm very confused...

#3 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

Is there a way to change back to default?  

If I create a new folder and call it "My Documents", I right click it and go to Properties, there is no "location" folder.

If you look on the left side under Libraries, the Documents folder is there.  But on the right side, it is no where to be found, thats why I am creating a new one.  I think the default folders have 7 tabs but when you create a new folder, it only has 6 tabs.  It is missing the location tab.

issue.png

Edited by irvineboy, 22 May 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

"...I want to change my libraries (My Documents, Videos, Music, Downloads, etc) to D drive instead of the default C drive..." According to some sources, here and elsewhere, this is not a good idea. Consider leaving that section alone; rather, create your data directories in your D-partition, and educate your data-producing programs, your downloaders, etc. to use your specified D-partition directories. According to these same sources, choices made to change Windows Prime can have consequences that cause more grief than joy. Ensure you have made restorable backups onto external media before and after any major Windows Prime changes.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:08 PM

"...I want to change my libraries (My Documents, Videos, Music, Downloads, etc) to D drive instead of the default C drive..." According to some sources, here and elsewhere, this is not a good idea. Consider leaving that section alone; rather, create your data directories in your D-partition, and educate your data-producing programs, your downloaders, etc. to use your specified D-partition directories. According to these same sources, choices made to change Windows Prime can have consequences that cause more grief than joy. Ensure you have made restorable backups onto external media before and after any major Windows Prime changes.

How come its a bad idea to redirect the libraries from C to D?  The reason I want to do this, is because I can salvage my files and just reformat the C drive, where all the Windows files are on.

Edited by irvineboy, 22 May 2016 - 09:09 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

Just a few of the PRO crowd: https://www.google.com/search?q=Moving+Libraries+from+C+to+D&oq=Moving+Libraries+from+C+to+D&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.12379j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just a few of the NO crowd:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Moving+Libraries+from+C+to+D&oq=Moving+Libraries+from+C+to+D&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.12379j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=Moving+Libraries+from+C+to+D+bad+idea

Hey new found friend :) whatever you decide, ensure you have restorable weekly-made or bi-monthly-made full images of your OS and data partitions.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 May 2016 - 09:02 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

OK, but how do I re create the two folders under my user name "My Documents" and "My Music" so I can redirect the locations tab to a D drive?

Once deleted, I cannot seem to re create it back.  If I create a new folder, it will NOT have the location tab.  Any one know this technical issue?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:56 PM

OK, but how do I re create the two folders under my user name "My Documents" and "My Music" so I can redirect the locations tab to a D drive?
Once deleted, I cannot seem to re create it back.  If I create a new folder, it will NOT have the location tab.  Any one know this technical issue?

I lost track, did you already boot into Safe Mode and try reAdding the folders?

Edited by RolandJS, 23 May 2016 - 07:19 AM.

#9 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

No.  I went to my user name, clicked on it.  It opened up a folder.  In this folder, it only has "My Pictures", "My Videos" and "Downloads" (see picture above)

It does not have "My Documents" or "My Music"  It was because I accidentally changed both those location (under the location tab) to D:/My Music so they were acting as one folder.  I couldn't separate the two locations back.  When I changed the location tab of the "My Documents" to D:/My Documents, the music folder's location tab would also change to D:/My Documents.  They kept both changing, as if they were acting as one folder.  So I deleted both of them.

Now when I right click, create new folder.  I will re-name it "My Documents" and create another one and re-name it "My Music"  But whne I right click and go to Properties, there is no "locaton" tab where I can redirect them to the D: drive, one for D:/My Documents and the other to D:/My Music.

Does that make sense?

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:21 AM

...Does that make sense?

Yes, you are very thorough!  If anyone has additional info for ya, they'll post it soon.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

Did you try a System Restore? If not, do so and choose a date just prior to when this whole mess started.

#12 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

Did you try a System Restore? If not, do so and choose a date just prior to when this whole mess started.

No I didn't. I reinstalled Windows 7 yesterday.
I think when you delete folders something messes up. But those folders were created in the D drive so I'm not sure why it would mess up. The original libraries are in the C drive and those were not touched.

#13 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:25 AM

There's a lot of confusion going on here; terminologies being used to refer to things other than what they actually mean, so let's first put things into perspective so that we all understand exactly what is being referred to when a term is used.

The user profile directory aka home directory, C:\Users\<username> contains special user data folders namely My Documents, My Music, My Videos, collectively known as user shell folders or user profile folders. These are system-generated when you log into a new user account for the first time. They are not ordinary folders because they do not really contain data and instead, they are virtual folders that link to locations where the data is actually stored. As you've discovered, the locations that these shell folders link to are configurable (can be changed), the same way you can change the target of a shortcut. Shell folders and their target locations are defined in the Registry, so when you move their contents to a custom location as described in this tutorial, their registry entries are also modified to reflect those changes.

Libraries on the other hand are NOT folders. There's a tendency to wrongly refer to shell folders as "libraries", but they are NOT libraries. Libraries are not folders and folders are not libraries. They are entirely different objects. Libraries DO NOT store/contain files like folders do. Libraries are simply views. They give you a singular viewpoint from which you can access files stored in different locations. In other words, libraries are just views of indexed data, much like a card index in a physical library. They simply point you to contents stored in different locations. You can read more about Libraries here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449413(v=ws.10).aspx, that FAQ article explains better than I can.

You cannot redirect Libraries to some other location, like that PCWorld article claims. However, you can redirect the user shell folders to a location of your choosing. You can do this via the Registry (not recommended for novices) or use the location tab of their properties dialog (highly recommended). You can add additional locations to an existing library or create additional libraries.

What you were seeking to do is redirect your user shell folders, and NOT libraries, to a custom location (different partition), and in so doing you accidentally redirected the My Music and My Documents shell folders to the same location, and in attempting to rectify your mistake and start over you deleted those two shell folders. When you tried to create the My Documents folder, a duplicate one was found, but you couldn't see it even if you confirmed the prompt to merge the two together. This is where things can get really confusing. There is a folder junction called My Documents and it's super hidden (a protected operating system file). It is not visible until you enable the display of hidden, system-protected files. Whatever you do, DO NOT touch this junction.

Another major point of confusion is how Windows Explorer or the shell presents the user shell folders. The path of the default location of the My Documents shell folder is C:\Users\<username>\Documents, yet if you were to open the same location, what you see is My Documents (in Windows 7). Explorer presents My Documents (it's what you see), yet the default location does not have "My" in its path. If you tried to open C:\Users\<username>\My Documents from the Run dialog, you'll get an access denied message or a message saying that location could not be found, yet if you typed in C:\Users\<username>\Documents it opens the My Documents location! Alternatively, if you changed to C:\Users\<username>\My Documents in CMD, it has no problem getting in! By default, the My Documents junction is owned by SYSTEM and It is super hidden and restricted for good measure, so I cannot emphasize enough why this junction should be left alone. In fact, you shouldn't even enable visibility of hidden and system protected files and folders. You have no reason to, even if to revert the mess you're in right now.

Enough of all that, let's restore the two user shell folders you deleted. Follow this tutorial and let's know how it goes.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

Stancestans, thanks!  Am saving your info as a textfile [with the URLs too].  I wish I had clearly known what you posted before trying to help earlier in this thread!  Addendum:  After Stancestans' next post, I'm adding:  saved everything, along with the sevenforum batchfiles, into a folder on my hard-drive.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 May 2016 - 07:52 PM.

#15 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

Update

Found a better tutorial for restoring user shell folders here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18583-user-folders-restore-default-location.html. Simply Download the bat scripts for My Documents and My Music then run each script with elevated privileges, that is, right-click each bat file and select run as administrator. After they're finished, two folders called Documents and Music will show up in the user profile directory. They will also have the location tab, pointing to C:\Users\<username>\Documents and C:\Users\<username>\Music respectively. You can rename them to My Documents and My Music (as they were originally) or leave them as they are. Renaming them affects their locations as well, so after renaming them, switch to their location tabs and remove "My " from the location path (make sure to remove the space after "My" as well) so that the locations are simply C:\Users\<username>\Documents and C:\Users\<username>\Music. You will be informed that the folders do not exist and prompted to create them. Click Yes to create them and yes again to finish the location changes. The Documents and Music folders will appear briefly and disappear from view afterwards. This is by design and completely normal. The shell folders somehow mask the underlying locations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users