Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer does not power on but has power, light on mouse

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amassiveheartbreak

amassiveheartbreak

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:07 PM

So I joined today because I thought someone on here could help me with something.

About two years ago my friend and I built a computer, I think it was a mostly normal gaming build. Unfortunately I don't have exact model numbers so I'll have to go on vague recollections of them. They were:

- An Asrock motherboard, I forget the exact model number, parts of the board were light blue if that's any help

- A CORSAIR CX500 power supply

- An Intel i5 CPU with liquid cooling

- An NVIDIA graphics card, I can probably get an exact model number if I looked at it closely.

- 2 4 gigabyte DDR3 ram sticks

- A 256 gb SSD

- A 1 tb hard disk drive

Please tell me if I need to specify any more details.

It worked fine, unsurprisingly. So a few months later my friend comes to audit it, since my brother had suspicions that it may not have been working correctly (it was working fine). We took it downstairs, which involved taking out the power. When we got it down there and we put the power back in, the computer entered a state in which it would not power on, but the graphics card and the mouse would light up, and the mouse light is supposed to be off when the computer is off. This was a clear indication that it was receiving power but it didn't seem to be routing it properly. We plugged it in and out a few times, and eventually it did work, powering on and working just fine, and with the mouse light off beforehand. So I never bothered with it since.

A year later my mother accidentally pulled the power cord out of the socket, and as I put the power cord back in once again the computer is in that state where it won't power on but send light to the graphics card and keyboard. I've disconnected it and reconnected it multiple times to try and get lucky again, that didn't work. I waited 10 minutes in this state to see if it would come back, nothing. I checked if the internal cabling was loose, that wasn't. I dusted the computer with an air can, still no dice. I tried powering it on with nothing external save for the power cord plugged in, zilch. I checked the internet and this website to see if anyone else has had this problem, as every problem I've had with a computer has been documented on the Internet with a working solution, didn't help. At the very moment I write this the computer is sitting there in that state, not powering on but sending light to the mouse and graphics card.

The reason I mention the thing about last year is because I know all the components are fine and nothing is broken. If they were I wouldn't be getting the exact same problem. So please don't suggest getting new components, especially since I have no money to spare for them.

Help would be appreciated. I'm sorry if this sounds rushed or impatient or demanding but I really don't want to rely on getting lucky with this thing.

Edited by amassiveheartbreak, 22 May 2016 - 07:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 amassiveheartbreak

amassiveheartbreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:58 PM

Disregard. My problem was fixed via another source.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for letting us know...care to share how you overcame your situation?

Louis

#4 amassiveheartbreak

amassiveheartbreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:40 PM

Certainly.

Per someone else's suggestion I simply took out the 24 pin connector to the power supply while the computer was plugged in and in that state, and the mouse light was not on, so I tried powering on the computer and it worked. My brother actually plugged it out so he could move it back to where it was supposed to be, and the problem happened again. I did the same thing and once again, the computer could be powered on.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

Thanks, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users