Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed: Mouse Will Disconnect/Reconnect Randomly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tehfeeds

tehfeeds

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

I have been having this problem for about three months now and I am at my wits end! I have a particular mouse, a Razer Naga 2012 USB mouse that disconnects on my laptop randomly, then will reconnect (most of the time). As far as I can tell, it is random but is triggered when I try to move the mouse. When it does this, it is complete with the windows disconnect/reconnect hardware sound. The lights on my mouse also goes out when this happens. Very rarely the mouse will disconnect and reconnect, but the lights stay out on my mouse, there is no way to get them to turn back on or the mouse to work. However, when I unplug the mouse I still get the disconnect sound.

The mouse works on other computers fine, and this problem is specific to this laptop, across all usb ports. The fixes I have tried include:"refreshing" my OS, Uninstalling usb hubs/mouse in device manager then restarting, updating device drivers, changing power management settings on usb/mouse settings in device manager, changing windows driver foundation service to autostart. Uninstalling Naga drivers from OS then reinstalling, and trying to use default windows HID drivers. Nothing seems to work. I do not want to reformat because I digitally upgraded to Windows 10 from windows 7, and I do not have the install disc for WIndows 10.

My specs:

MFR: Digital Storm  

CPU: Intel i7-4810MQ @2.8GHz(8cores)

MB: P17SM-A Mem. 8GB

GPU: Nvidia GTX 850M 4GB GDRR5

BIOS: American Megatrends

Please let me know if I missed something, this is my first time posting!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:07 PM

I'm not sure. Windows 10 isn't a very reliable OS, so I suggest (Optional) going back to Windows 7. If you installed Windows 10 less than 30 days ago, you should be able to go into your system settings and revert. I have a similar mouse, so you're lucky you have a fellow gamer on this forums. :) I have a newer edition though. I have the Razer Naga 2014. That mouse has been quite irritating because of the buttons that make you go back a page, so I switched to an HP Optical Mouse that came with my desktop, but whenever I left click, this mouse always manages to somehow right click as well. It's very annoying, so I'm switching back to my Naga. I don't know what to tell you. Go back to Windows 7, unplug the mouse, put it back in. Reinstall Razer Synapse and play around with the settings. Otherwise, it might be some sort of infection. I recommend installing CCleaner and cleaning up your machine. Some junk files might be causing your mouse to go bonkers.

EDIT: Just switched back to the Naga! :) Lovin' it.

Edited by DanieI, 22 May 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#3 tehfeeds

tehfeeds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:54 AM

Im glad you liked the Naga, but I would like to keep the Windows 10 if possible. Any Ideas?

#4 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

... problem for about three months now ... a Razer Naga 2012 USB mouse that disconnects on my laptop randomly, then will reconnect (most of the time). As far as I can tell, it is random but is triggered when I try to move the mouse. ... The lights on my mouse also goes out when this happens. ...

The mouse works on other computers fine, and this problem is specific to this laptop, across all usb ports. ...

You covered the bases.  The fact the mouse works on other computers rules out the mouse.  The fact the issue occurs on all USB ports rules out a specific port.  That leaves the laptop as the culprit.  I would boot up Ubuntu or Linux Mint (do not install it!) to run completely in system RAM, and play with it (called a LiveCD) long enough that either the same issue occurs or enough time elapsed you are certain it should have occurred.

If mouse fails = hardware issue

If mouse behaves just fine = boot drive or OS/driver/service/startup issue

Not a whole lot to do with a laptop and hardware issue, but at least you eliminated other causes.  With a software issue you can temp. disable startups and see if the issue goes away.  You can also see if any apps were installed 3 months ago or Windows Updates that might have an issue. 

I assume you don't normally have a whole lot else plugged into your laptop's USB ports?  Otherwise I would wonder if those peripherals have had any issues?

Edited by Fascist Nation, 24 May 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#5 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

.... Windows 10 isn't a very reliable OS, ....

Your evidence for this? 

#6 tehfeeds

tehfeeds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:58 AM

So I did what you suggested and it does seem to be a software issue. Other USB devices seem to work just fine. It COULD be a driver issue, but I doubt it, since i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both 32 and 64 bit Naga, HID, and default drivers about 3 times each. If it is a startup or non-MS service issue, Safe mode should fix it, however last time i checked I think it did it in safe mode as well, but I will have to double check after this. The one thing I do remember is a big W10 update right before this started happening, but I cant remember which one. Anyways thanks for the continued support. Any further ideas?

#7 tehfeeds

tehfeeds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

Bump, Any ideas?

#8 tehfeeds

tehfeeds
  • Topic Starter