Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certain .eml files opening as gibberish or blank

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jplinkus

jplinkus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

http://imgur.com/VPfCi7T

Ran a recovery program (Kroll Ontrack) on a Windows 7 PC and recovered many, many emails. Almost all of them open in my Windows 10 mail client (and Thunderbird), except for a handful from this March. They look like the image above, or even some are blank. There are not empty files, though, as they have file sized ranging from a few KB to 2 MB. Incidentally, these are the most important emails. Is this a sign of a .eml being encrypted? Or is it something else? Although Thunderbird says they're not. Perhaps these are attachments that aren't loading right? But why only March? And all of the other emails have perfectly fine images, docs, PDFs, etc. Just these handful from March. 

I tried using Ontrack's email repair tool, but first I had to convert the .eml to .pst, then recover. This did not work, as the emails were still gibberish, just in a new file format.

Any help would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users