Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tracking (monitoring/logging) internet connectivity & drops in connection.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kellyrx

kellyrx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

Ill try and be breaf, i have a home security system (arlo) which depends on wifi to function. the cameras are wireless and require my network connection to work. so it dawned on me that my children can just unplug the internet if they want to sneak out (hopefully they haven't figured that out, but if i have they most likely have as well). i want a way or program i can use that will monitor the internet and alert me via email/txt or any other way, that my internet is down!

i apologize in advance if this is something already answered. i simply cannot find what i want. something basic, that just records or alerts me when my internet isnt working. 24/7

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2016 - 04:18 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

Tell the kids that your alarm company called because your wireless connection went down and they receive a message to this affect and they wanted to know if this was something they should dispatch the police to.  Explain that you don't know how the wifi went down, but if it does go down this will be the response in the future.

Years and years ago I was involved with alarm systems that were connected to a dialer which would call the alarm company when the alarm system was tripped.  When the phone lines were cut the company monitoring the alarm system would see this as the system being tripped and dispatch the police.  So I wouldn't be surprised if they have some means of monitoring you system from their end.  It may be worth calling then to find out what does happen when you wifi goes down.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users