Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 took over my computer and now everything is ruined

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 martingaleh

martingaleh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:55 PM

I have an unattended computer with no keyboard or monitor that I use for dropbox and printer support for the rest of the computers in the house.  I go to vacation for a week and all the sudden windows 10 is on my computer.  I know this because I couldn't print.  I go to the computer in time to agree to the new terms and conditions.  I considered unplugging the computer right there but I was afraid windows 7 was already a goner and my files would be lost.  So instead I let cortana have her way with me like the daughters of Lot and afterwords everything is everywhere like moving the furniture of the blind.  I finally figure out the homegroup thing, which of course you can't search when you first install a new os and the indexes aren't rebuilt, and I put in the password for the right homegroup.

Now, I can see my windows 10 computer from all my other computers, but I can't access it because the computer insists on a username and password.  I've never had to set a username and password before and my preference is never to set a new username and password because, 1.  I don't know how, 2. I'm going to end up telling all my family members anyway, 3. I may forget it and 4. I trust my family members.

So my question is:

1. I've never set a username and password.  What would the user name and password be?  I've left it blank, but that failed. I wish I could send a pict because it shows a domain under the dialog box, and I've never done anything with a domain before and have no real interest learning about active directory.  This is true whether I select the remote computer under workgroup or network

2. Is there a way to use a shared printer or access a volume on the windows 10 computer without a user name and password, and if so, how do I enable that feature.  It was previously the default setting

3. Can I go back to windows 7 somehow?  I never got a disc.  It's in a mystery drive on my computer that will erase everything before I can install it

4. Is it evil to revel in Chris Paul's broken hand because God wanted to punish Steve Ballmer for windows 8?  I know this is his doing because the new guy wasn't around long enough to have done this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 martingaleh

martingaleh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:10 PM

I found the solution.  It only took 2 hours

http://www.howtogeek.com/126214/how-to-create-network-file-shares-with-no-passwords-in-windows-8/

Its the vocabulary.  You have to know the right vocabulary to google correctly.  I know why they're giving windows 10 away.  It's not the $120 for the os that is expensive.  its the time that  your employer would otherwise pay you in excess of $120 that you have to spend learning windows 10 that is expensive.

#3 billygoat9

billygoat9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

I think anytime Microsoft want to give something away they are up to no good!! I won't ever use it. They keep downloading updates that try to install win 10. Here are 2 of them which I removed from my computer. KB 3035583 and KB2952664. I keep removing them and they keep putting them back. I had to turn off windows update and I check it every once in awhile for useful updates and ignore those 2.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

Well using a login name and password is something every user should get used to, I know automatic logins are easy but at the same time they come with the cost of being insecure and being very hackable.

Even using a common basic password is safer really.

I understand why you didnt use things like usernames and passwords sooner and heck I can relate to being scared off by change.

I am not saying windows 10 is a good thing, far from it as windows 10 does have its fare share of things I dont like about it.

But at the same time it wanting you to give a user and password... not a bad idea, I know its frustrating to have to learn something new sometimes but sometimes that can be to your benefit.

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 May 2016 - 04:22 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 dustyjay

dustyjay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

If it has been less than a month since Win 10 was installed, you can revert back to Windows 7.  Past the month you are stuck with Windows 10.

#6 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

I had to turn off windows update and I check it every once in awhile for useful updates and ignore those 2.

Why not apply an easy solution like many of us have?

See this: https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Or this: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Choose one or the other. Either will get the job done.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#7 martingaleh

martingaleh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:01 AM

If it has been less than a month since Win 10 was installed, you can revert back to Windows 7.  Past the month you are stuck with Windows 10.

Tell me more!

Will it take all day?  What's the learning curve on this measure

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:16 AM

It should not take all day. The problem is that some programs may need to be reinstalled and there is always a chance it can go wrong however small.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-how-to-roll-back/

#9 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:13 PM

It should not take all day. The problem is that some programs may need to be reinstalled and there is always a chance it can go wrong however small.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-how-to-roll-back/

Start the roll back, go to the toilet, come back and your computer will be exactly like it was before Windows 10 installed.  Enjoy it until 2020 or it breaks.  MS will not support 7 after April of 2020.  My advice is to use Windows 10.  It is really a wonderful OS, much better than any of the previous, IMHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users