Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unlocking My Phone, Verizon Plays Stupid

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

I can legally unlock my LG 4, but when I call Verizon about this, they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about.

In the past, I've found that being VERY specific with my questions helps bypass all the BS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edit: Moved topic from Cell Phones to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:57 PM

Does the phone meet the Verizon criteria listed in this article? https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/verizon-unlocking-guide

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:06 PM

Yes.

I bought my phone outright from Verizon and my contract was fulfilled 1 1/2 years ago.

Edited by Booh-kitty, 25 May 2016 - 12:07 PM.

-Henry Ford

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

I would go into a Verizon store with copies of: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cell-phone-unlocking-faqs and http://www.ctia.org/docs/default-source/fcc-filings/15023-filed-ctia-indoor-location-accuracy-1-22-15-meetings-ex-parte-notice.pdf?sfvrsn=2

And tell them they are in violation of FCC guidelines that they are signatories of. If Verizon continues to deny they can unlock the phone, file an FCC complaint. By calling the FCC while standing in the store. The number is listed towards the bottom of the first link I shared.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure that if I mention calling the FCC, they'll make sure they do it!

I think there is software online that I could use to unlock it myself, but I don't want to attract unnecessary attention to myself.

-Henry Ford

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

You're welcome.

Yeah trying to 'do it yourself' can cause complications later. They could be childish and say "Oh sorry we got a report the device was stolen" so we relocked it or some other pointless reply. Just not worth the headache later. You have consumer rights so exercise them. Just play hardball, they started it. Then they know you did your homework and 'should' do the right thing. If not, then by all means get federal regulatory agencies involved.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users