Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making Win10 play a Shutdown Sound (Among Others)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

Since I work with a number of blind or visually-impaired clients, this is really not a simple "oh, wouldn't it be nice to have this back" issue for them.

Up through Windows 7 one could specify a sound to be played when Windows was just about complete in shutting down using the Exit Windows item in the Sound controls.  In fact, I think the standard "Shutdown Windows.wav" file that is in the C:\WINDOWS\media folder was set to play by default, though you could choose another wav file if you wanted.

With the advent of Windows 8 direct access to this setting disappeared.  I've tried the registry edit to make it reappear under Sound on Windows 10, but that doesn't work because although it allows you to select a sound to be played, and that sound will even work if you hit the "Test" button, it is not played by Windows when it shuts down.

I found a lengthy discussion about this under Windows 8 social technet site here.  The "best" solution appears to be the one written by Amos Yuen, which can be found by searching on the text, "After doing some research, seems like logon, logoff, and unlock sounds in Windows 8 are disabled".   I understand how to use PowerShell instead of AutoHotKeys with the one line script of the form:

(new-object Media.SoundPlayer "Full path to desired .wav file here").playsync();

to get a specific sound to play as well and to use the PowerShell Scripts Tab in the Startup Properties of the Group Policy Editor.

The problem here is that if someone's running Win10 Home the Group Policy Editor is not available "as shipped."  Although I've found downloadable versions I'm not really comfortable going that route.

There has got to be a way to make a shutdown sound play to give an auditory cue to a blind user under Windows 10 Home, but I'll be darned if I can find that way, absent going all the way with downloading an alternate Group Policy Editor if someone's on Win10 Home.

I have to believe that there's a much cleaner, easier way to get this back.  If someone knows what that happens to be, please share, please!!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

Dunno if this'll work, but it might :0)

I know less than nothing about Powershell.

Use this procedure to find the registry key that controls that in a W10Pro system:  http://www.howtogeek.com/115617/how-to-see-which-registry-settings-a-group-policy-object-modifies/

Then create that key in the W10 Home version and see if it works.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,224 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

John,

Thanks much, truly, but the amount of research to identify "the culprit" via that method would be more tedious to me than the other.

On my own machine I did download and install the Group Policy Edit at the link I supplied.  Since Malwarebytes and Windows Defender both gave their seal of approval I thought why not.

There is a bit more to it than that, though, because the actual folders that the scripts (if one is doing something other than Shutdown) get placed in under the WINDOWS hierarchy are not automatically created, so you've got to create them, and the Group Policy Editor cannot seem to write to them.  But if you specify a script and put it where it belongs, it seems to work.

It just seems absolutely insane that since the advent of Windows 8 one has to go to extreme lengths to get any shutdown sound to play!!  For someone like me, who can see, it doesn't matter at all, but for someone who's blind or visually-impaired and who doesn't have great hearing (like, able to hear the fan on their laptop with no trouble hearing) it's no small feat to know whether the machine is shutting down or has shut down when you're expecting it to.  I won't even get into how much more confusing it is now that Shutdown doesn't really shut down with Fast Start enabled but Restart does!!

Brian

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

Have you tried disabling fast startup? If that is disabled do you get the shutdown sound using your Windows 10 registry tweak?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,224 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:38 PM

Have you tried disabling fast startup? If that is disabled do you get the shutdown sound using your Windows 10 registry tweak?

John,

I disable Fast Startup as a matter of course, as I hate some of the "more interesting" effects that I've seen occur when the hiberfile becomes corrupted.

It was already disabled when I tried the registry tweak and turning on the shutdown sound via the Sound dialog afterward.  It still didn't work.

Thank you, however, for bringing this up as a possible option.  It's just so easy to overlook variables (and I've been doing diagnostic experimentation with individual tweaks and tests all day, which makes it even easier to have overlooked something).

~ Brian Vogel

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,224 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:19 PM

OK, I've given up completely on the Group Policy Editor method since I cannot achieve a consistent result.  One thing that's interesting is that when I did get a sound to play it was *always* the old-fashioned windows shutdown sound regardless of what I specified as the sound file to be played by PowerShell, which always played the specified sound file.  Weird.

However, I found this post on tenforums.com regarding changing system sounds under Windows 10.  I decided to go straight to the regedit method and what I found is that when I set the wav file value via regedit it is showing up in the Sound dialog for Exit Windows (which, I'll note, is only there because I did another regedit earlier to make it visible).  It does not, however, play.

This leads me to believe that there must be some registry value that toggles "play shutdown sound" on/off - but what is it?!!

This is completely, utterly maddening!

I also can't figure out how they've implemented the Windows Startup sound, either.  There does not appear to be a registry key for it, but in the Sounds settings there is a checkbox that allows you to have a startup sound played.  I suspect that this checkbox activates some registry key but how the sound file is determined is a mystery.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 td47

td47

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:15 PM

Hi, apologies if you have already tried this - but is it possible that the Control Panel item "Optimise for Blindness" (Under Ease of Access section) might open up some more sound options for you. I have not tried it, but I would assume it still uses the display, and hopefully should augment it with more sound options. It is possible it might add a whole raft of related registry keys, that you could then investigate to get the option you want.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,224 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

td47,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I exhausted "Ease of Access" settings a long time ago.  Essentially, when it comes to system sounds, it throws you right back in to the regular sound control panel dialogs.

I still have no come up with a way to achieve the desired result of having a consistent sound play at shutdown.

Brian

~ Brian Vogel

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:19 AM

Have you tried this? Works for 10 as well I think.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-options-to-customize-windows-logon-logoff-exit-and-unlock-sounds-in-windows-8/

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,224 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

Yes:  "I've tried the registry edit to make it reappear under Sound on Windows 10, but that doesn't work because although it allows you to select a sound to be played, and that sound will even work if you hit the "Test" button, it is not played by Windows when it shuts down."

~ Brian Vogel

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:40 AM

BriTechGuy, there might be a solution, as the King in Planet 51 said:  "There are always alternatives."

Can you refresh my memory, exactly at what point after Start Shutdown does the exit wav play?

Does it sound before the Shutting down pretty blue screen?

Or, does it sound during the Shutting down pretty blue screen?

Or, does it sound after the Shutting down pretty blue screen just before Windows goes to black and off? 

The reason for the above:  Gibson's wizmo.exe just might be our answer, and it just might not be our answer.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 May 2016 - 09:46 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,224 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

Roland,

Actually, in this instance, it's not particularly critical about the "exactly when" in the shutdown process so long as the sound plays indicating that the system is in the process of shutting down and will have done so within some reasonably predictable amount of time.

I tried, for a completely different purpose, to use Wizmo a very, very long time ago when I was trying to find a way to keep a monitor "blacked" until or unless the user asked for it to be brought back to displaying, not unlike the screen curtain feature currently available on iPhones.  For blind users having the screen on is a complete waste of time and battery power, and there were instances where they could easily work on what were private matters in public spaces if they knew that no one could see anything on the screen.  I never could get that to work.

If you're a Wizmo wizard, and can come up with the correct command set to play a sound and do a shutdown (probably a shutdown damit!) I'd love to hear about it.  The users I have in mind are perfectly capable of triggering a shutdown using a shortcut to the appropriate Wizmo call rather than the usual Power screen button or hard button under Windows 10.

Brian

~ Brian Vogel

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

Looking through the wizmo command line text file, I can only find "single-commands." meaning wizmo apparently only can do one command, then exit.  Lemmie keep looking.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,224 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:19 AM

Roland,

The documentation of Wizmo is slightly contradictory in spots, but now having tested some stuff I can tell you that you can definitely string out commands in sequence after the "wizmo.exe" part of the shortcut and these will be executed, in order.

The above being said, there are clearly some issues with some of the commands and Windows 10.  For example, the volume command does nothing, the play command will only work for .wav files located in C:\Windows\Media but not your own user directory.

The good news is that I can get a play command followed by a shutdown command to do exactly what I need for it to do, play the sound and then promptly initiate the Windows shutdown sequence.

I have written to GRC Technical Support to see if there are any plans to revisit Wizmo and potentially update it to ensure compatibility of all commands with Windows 10.  I will report back if/when I have something to report.

~ Brian Vogel

#15 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

Why don't you just use Task Scheduler to play a something at shutdown?  You could create a bat file, like start wmplayer mysong.mp3.

Edited by dhjohns, 28 May 2016 - 11:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users