Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen with just cursor on the screen and nothing more

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ruyers

Ruyers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:06 PM

Hi all,

Please, can anybody help me...

1) Problem:

After booting up, after windows logo appears and before user log-in form the screen gets black and just the mouse pointer appears.

I am able to move the cursor but nothing else.

No 5 times shift key, no Ctrl+Alt+Supr, no Alt+F4 working.

While booting I have access to win repair and safe menu.

It seems that now the drive has BitLocker ON, but I have never used BitLocker before.

Through Repair cmd utility I am able to access hard drive files.

2) Pre-failure and context:

Nothing special done before the problem started. (No sw installed, no changes in configuration, etc).

HDD is a 500GB, with 2 logical drives in it. One is used for data and the other one for OS.

Data is available from any computer and is already backed-up.

OS logic drive is not available from other computers, just through repair > cmd utility in the same laptop.

No restauration point.

3) Things already attempted:

Tried starting with low resolution mode but nothing happened.

Tried starting within safe mode, but no improvement.

Tried enter Repair menu and execute Repair but no improvement.

Tried chkdsk from command line through Repair but no improvement.

Tried sfc /scannow but no improvement.

I attach you FRST.txt file to see if it could help.

Please, can anybody help me solving that beAttached File  FRST.txt   38.18KB   3 downloadsfore I decide to remove OS and reinstall it from scratch?

Many thanks!!

Ruyers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

Black screen errors are notoriously difficult to fix (if they can be fixed - most times I've seen that they can't be fixed)

I would suggest, since you have a good backup, that you go ahead and start with a clean install of the operating system

BUT, please run these free, bootable diagnostics BEFORE installing the OS:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users