Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone using Firefox in XP SP3?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

For a long time I'm using Firefox 42 in XP SP3. But I was not happy with that version. Today I tried some older portable versions and decided to use the version 35. FF loads faster now, no more typing lags at very startup even with hardware acceleration enabled.

Which version do you have installed on your computers? My point is not security in this case. I prefer stabilty and speed.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2016 - 11:48 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

I have 46.0 installed and working with no problems.

Louis

#3 dehoo

dehoo

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:58 AM

Hi,

I have 46. FF now just up from 42.  I am not a big fan!  Yes it is slow and hangs and I have many "Oops, well this is embarrassing" crashes.  I have tried to install older version however it leaves me with security  issues on installing some add-ons and extensions that I require.  I continually have to change settings in aboutconfig.  For speed I guess the earlier version was definitely better.  I am now in the process of changing to win 7 reluctantly, so I will assume that most of these issues will be resolved with that.

#4 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

I run XP service pack 3 and alternate between Firefox 28 and Palemoon.

#5 sdfox 7

sdfox 7

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

I use the now-current ESR and 46.x side by side on my ThinkPad. One is installed, the other is Portable Firefox.

I prefer the ESR; for university work it is a more mature/stable release with security updates only. I use the 46.x for sites that request newer features or complain my browser is outdated.

Firefox ESR 38.8.0 actually goes end-of-life tomorrow, and 45.x will be the current ESR release.

IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645-8AU (Win98), T23 2647-4MU (Win2000), T41 2373-7FU (WinXP)
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:21 PM

The only remnants of XP I have left is XP mode under Windows 7 Pro on one desktop.  I haven't used it in months, but I brought it up today and loaded Firefox.  It was version 44.  I upgraded it to 46.0.1, and it seemed to work OK.  I have noticed that the version 46 I have on my Windows 10 laptop (8 GB RAM) is a real memory hog.  When I started 10 tabs, it gobbled up 1.4 GB of RAM, and typing into forums was noticeably slow.  I switched to Edge for the forum I had the problem with using Firefox, and the problem went away.  I've been using Firefox since release 3, but it does seem to've gotten cludgey lately.  :( 

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users