Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot from drive selected in BIOS, will with manual selection

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 marknugent

marknugent

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

Hi,

I have just done a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (build 7601) install on a new SSD. I am using my old HDD for storage in the same machine. The old OS has been removed.

I have specified the SSD in the BIOS as the first boot device and no other devices are specified. When I try to boot up I get a dos message saying:

No boot device available.
SATA 1: installed
SATA 2: installed
SATA 3: installed
SATA 4: none

1 is the old HDD; 2 is CD-rom drive; 3 is new SSD.

When I boot from the boot options menu and select the SSD, all is well. This, of course, is a one-off selection, which I have to do on every boot.   

My BIOS (Dell A03 12/21/2009, latest version) setting is "ATA". I cannot see an AHCI option. When I installed Windows I saw no option to select AHCI. I have subsequently fixed this (?) by changing the registry setting "Start" under msahci in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area to 0 from 3. The above failure to boot occurs always regardless of this setting.

Obviously I'd like to be able to utilise AHCI and boot the computer from the drive selected in the BIOS.

The PC is a Dell XPS8000. Mother board is 0X231R A01.

Thanks, Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

Where the setting is ATA, is there an option for RAID? With older Dells, the AHCI option is commonly in the RAID section. Once RAID is selected, you ignore the RAID Bios sign-on screen at boot, and SATA drives operate in non-RAID AHCI mode.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:28 AM

Also, remove the old HDD until the SSD is seen and installed.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 23 May 2016 - 02:31 AM.

#4 marknugent

marknugent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:03 AM

Hi - thanks for replying.

When I select RAID and boot up normally I get a DOS screen for a fraction of a second (image attached) before the usual "no boot device available" message. Don't see any AHCI options after RAID selected.

With RAID selected in the BIOS and I select the SSD from the boot options menu I get blue screen of death.

Any help appreciated. Mark

#5 marknugent

marknugent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

image attached

Attached Files

#6 marknugent

marknugent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:18 AM

OK I notice now that I am back on ATA rather than RAID that the PC DOES boot normally without needing to go thru the boot options menu. Still no sign of AHDI. Mark

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,488 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:38 AM

If it operates the same as the one at church, selecting RAID mode necessarily invokes AHCI mode. Have you installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/studio-xps-8000/drivers

#8 marknugent

marknugent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

On installation I get a message saying my PC does not meet the minimum spec for the software!!

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,488 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

Hmm, that might be one of those chicken & egg situations where Windows needed to be installed in AHCI mode from the start, so you can then install the storage driver because it will find the storage manager enabled...

If I was in that situation I think I would try enabling the RAID/AHCI mode and booting the Windows installation media to do a repair install. That should install Windows' own generic SATA driver for the AHCI controller, then you should be able to install the Intel Manager.

Edited by Platypus, 23 May 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#10 marknugent

marknugent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

I did a repair with BIOS set to RAID. It did do something (see screenshot 1 re partition). Restarting PC led to BSOD. Changes back to ATA and booted normally. Tried to install storage manager but same issue - not meeting min spec.

Do I need to re-install Windows (I never saw an option to install with AHCI)? I think I can live with things the way they are - the machine is usable after 30 seconds. It's amazing!

Mark

Attached Files

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,488 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:50 PM

Looks like it was just the startup repair, a repair install is often called an In-place Upgrade:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2255099

It's less involved than re-installing Windows.

Either way, you won't see any reference to AHCI, either the full install or the repair install will take the controller mode it finds and install accordingly. So the current one was done with the controller in ATA (IDE) emulation mode so Windows is set up for that, if you install or in-place upgrade with the controller set to RAID/AHCI the installation will be done to suit that.

#12 marknugent

marknugent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:01 AM

thanks for all your help on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users