Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgradding my computer, need help for 4K

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Planetdune

Planetdune

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

I want to buy a new PC, this one is two years old already. I will list my current components. I use my PC for gaming and photo editing. Anyway, my current system:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte X79-UD3
  • Processor: Intel i7-4820 Quadcore
  • Memory: Kingston 12GB Tripple Channel DDR3
  • Graphic Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780ti 3GB GDDR5
  • SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
  • Hard Disk: Western Digital Sata 1TB Caviar Black
  • Case: Antec P183 Mid-Tower
  • Card Reader: Chieftec SD/MMC MicroSD xD MS/Pro/Duo
  • Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T260 27"
  • Speakers: Creative Stereo
  • Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech (Azerty)
  • Controller: Microsoft XbOne

After hours of research, this is where I am at:

• Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA, socket 1151
  • Processor: Intel i7-6700 4000mhz Quadcore
  • Memory: 64GB DDR4 (4x G.Skill D432GB 2800-14 Trident Z K2 16GB)
  • Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X

If anyone knows if this is a good setup, where to improve etc... for example I was not sure abut the motherboard I got at the moment because I never used watercooling.. I also want to be at least somewhat future proof for 4k gaming... (so does anyone know a good 4k monitor?)

Thanks!

Edited by Planetdune, 22 May 2016 - 07:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

As you can easily see: http://ark.intel.com/compare/88195,77781

Changing CPU makes absolutely no sense unless you can sell your current CPU+MB+MEM for very good price.

I cannot see PSU anywhere. As for graphics card, GTX1080 is too slow for 4K gaming. In case you want 4K gaming, it's same old story: wait for cards equipped with HBM2 memory. It's only possibility unless prepared to mess with SLI/Crossfire setups. AMD Vega is rumoured for october launch.

#3 Planetdune

Planetdune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:08 AM

October? But I wanted to get a new PC before summer :( Ugh... curses on slow moving tech..

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

You could try using SLI for Crossfire, but you may want to wait for the "Vega" GPU's in AMD's "Polaris" line of GPU's to come out so you can see what the performance gains, if any will be.  The Dell P2715Q Black 27" is a good candidate for a 4K monitor.  If you are wanting to use adaptive syncing technology, you will have to buy a monitor designed for it, which will have a price premium.  AMD and Nvidia have their own versions of this syncing technology and they aren't cross compatible, so if you get a G-Sync monitor, you will need an Nvidia card, FreeSync will require an AMD card.

Are you using a full, boxed retail copy of Windows 10 or an OEM/System Builder version?  You may need to purchase a Windows 10 license for the upgrade.

3939.png

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

October? But I wanted to get a new PC before summer :( Ugh... curses on slow moving tech..

You don't need new PC; just change video card and perhaps add more memory.

As 4K displays are also developing quickly, buy new monitor same time as new GPU. Sometimes waiting is only option, it s**** sometimes.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

Gtx 1080 performance

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler