Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender grayed out & update issues ... ? virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 b1uevoid

b1uevoid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:06 AM

For the last 2 days Windows Defender would not update [I update the service manually a few times a day]. Even when I tried to update direct from MS Definition Security Portal, it still wouldn't update.

When I checked 'services', Windows Defender is all grayed out ...

defender_2.png

When I checked in 'action center', Windows Defender had been switched off. I switched it back on but still could not update the service.

I ran Malwarebytes [however before running the scan I attempted to update same - it stated no updates were available which didn't seem normal to me as I hadn't updated MWB in quite a while]. The scan found a few innocuous, non suspicious files which I removed.

I then attempted to run Kaspersky ... it ran for about 30% of the scan and then just disappeared from the screen. When I checked 'Task Manager', the only thing that was running was Windows Defender. It continued to run about 50% of hard disk for about 3 minutes and then settled again.

I decided to try a system restore. After completion of same, I attempted to update Windows Defender .... it updated to the latest definition!! However, when I checked in the 'action center' it still said it was switched off. I've switched it on again. But Defender is still grayed out in 'services'.

I've checked regedit and wondered if these values were correct ...

defender.png

Apart from the problems with Windows Defender, my system is running normally, [apart from a recent 1GB loss of free space on my C: drive, which is unusual]. I'm still concerned that I may have a virus as I don't know how Defender was switched off in the first place.

My OS is Windows 8.1

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Edited by b1uevoid, 22 May 2016 - 06:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

Windows Defender will turn itself off when you install another antivirus program such as Kaspersky. Don't try to force it.

Leave WD inactive and try the Kaspersky scan again.

No need for constant manual updating of WD.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 b1uevoid

b1uevoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:04 AM

I only downloaded the virus removal tool. I'm not running Kaspersky as an anti-virus.

However, since posting I attempted to run Kaspersky again. This time it did a full scan. But found nothing.

I've now managed 2 manual Windows Defender updates. So it appears to be working again.

It's still grayed out in 'services'. I wondered if it's because I don't have permission to change it there. Would I not have to 'Run as Administrator' to access it?

And I just prefer to manually update Defender. AM & PM. Never had problems before.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

Allow WD to update automatically. What you are doing is overkill....in my opinion.

If you want to scan for what WD is likely to have missed, use the programs below.

Is MBAM the free version or paid version? You said it has 'been a while' since using it. It may need uninstalling and reinstalling.

Use the settings below for running another scan using it.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

• Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected.
  • Click the Remove Selected button.
  • MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

POST THE LOG FOR  REVIEW.

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users