Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My printer problems revisited

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:33 AM

For a number of reasons I am looking at using a stand alone printer and a HP product.

Mainly because according to Linux. org HP. has most supported models with native drivers.

Does this seem like a good idea?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:46 AM

Yes that would be good.  What is the situation, pc, OS etc.  Find a printer and go here to see if it is supported.  If not supported, tell us what it is and we'll take a look to see if it will work, some of these lists are not up to date and or don't have older printers on them.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

I haven't used an HP for personal use (only work years ago), so this is only passing comment.

I've just engaged in an exercise some might find useful.

GlQuLvu.png

I went to my package manager (Synaptic, as above) and typed in a printer brand, in this case Canon. Bottom left-hand corner shows packages listed either directly involved with Canon and/or common perhaps to all/other printers - in this case, 209 (cf 188 for me for HP). Not sure how "testdisk" fits in there, but anyway.

Kodak has a mere 5, and Lexmark 1. I typed in Dell, Brother, Minolta, Fuji, Xerox, &c - and you can perhaps get a broad idea of how well a printer might be supported under Linux.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:39 AM

I actually used pcpunk's method and thewizards also. They both gave pretty much the same info. Not a bad alternate verification source.

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:06 AM

Glad you like them.

Dell I found a little surprising, numbering only 25.

In the early Noughties I found (Michael) Dell's business model for providing customisable configs for computers online inspirational, and bought a couple, which went well. Monitors were even better, have 5 17 inch to 19 inch of them, still working fine 10 years on.

Around 2004 - 2005 he started into the printers market, and in 2005 - 06 I purchased two of them, an AIO 966 (inkjet) and a colour laser a 3110cn. The copy, scan and fax on the AIO were great, but the printing crap, in comparison with its laser sibling, and the consumables outrageously expensive here in Oz.

10 years down the track, the 3110cn laser (which is industrial strength with a duty cycle of 30,000 pages per month) has been warning Elaine and me for 2 years that the black cartridge is near life, and just started a few weeks ago warning about the magenta. No discernible difference (yet) in quality, but now the new house is built, we are starting to price the cassettes.

That is why I am surprised about the 25 packages.

Dell were the first, to my knowledge, to start shipping laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled, before HP. Shows some commitment, or rather business acumen on Linux growing. They need to do more, IMO. But the 3110cn was eminently easy to configure to Linux, and Elaine says if I break the Dell, she'll break my balls.

I look after the Dell.

:wizardball: Wiz

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

A very wise man there Wizard.