Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems connecting external monitor to laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 3d1l

3d1l

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:20 PM

Hi,
Excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong sub-forum. I think that it could be a software problem. Please help me with my problem.  I have a Thinkpad Edge E550:

Serial Number: PF0BM50W, Product Number: 20DF0040US, BIOS : J5ET50WW 1.21 
Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Preview 64bit Build 14342.rs1_release.160506-1708
Switchable graphics: AMD Radeon R7 M265 Series (driver  15.20.1045-150622a-185839C-Lenovo)
Intel HD Graphics 5500 (driver 10.18.15.4281)

I have made sure to have all drivers updated to the latest version (not only video drivers but all of them).

1st problem - When connecting a external monitor using the DE-15 VGA port, the monitor gets briefly detected and quickly loss signal and disconnects. I tried 3 different monitors with three different VGA cables and two TVs and the problem persisted. There is no problem connecting external monitors or TVs using the HDMI port.
2nd problem - I have only veryfied this with one monitor (Dell U2415). The Windows desktop is not covering or filling the entire screen. There is an all around 1/4" gap from the edge of the windows desktop to the edge of the monitor's bezel. Graphic settings are set to use the monitor native 1920x1200 resolution. The problem is not present with the laptop's display that is also using it's native resolution (1920x1080). It doesn't matter if I set the external monitor as the main display. The monitor is conected via HDMI. I can not try with the VGA port because of the first problem.

For the first problem, I contacted Lenoto technical support explained the situation and they determined that the motherboard was defective. An IBM technician came and replaced the entire system board but the problem didn't went away. The technitian told me that I need to contact Lenovo technical support again but since the motherboard was replaced I don't think that it is a hardware problem.

For the second problem I read that ther is an overscan setting that should be modified from the video card software. I can not use ATI video software because the computer is using the switchabel graphic mode and there are not controls from the ATI console. I check with the Intel software but was not able to find any parameter related to overscan. Also I want to know if it is possible to force the computer to always use ATI card. I previously used a Thinkpad W500 and I remember that I could set that from the BIOS. Are there any other drivers that provide complete ATI CCC settings?

Can you please help me with both problems?

Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 3d1l

3d1l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

Anybody any ideas?

For the second problem I check with the Intel and the scaling option is available. It has two options, mantain display scaling and manual settings. I tried both, with the first one there was no change. With the second option I have two slider bars that were set to 100% if I reduce them the image get smaller. I can not go beyond 100%.

#3 3d1l

3d1l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

Ok I think that I found out what's the problem.

I have several lenovo laptops E550, E560 and E565. I'm using the laptops for bussiness not for home or personal use. We have a contract with Microsoft and through that contract we have the licenses for Windows 10 enterprise. In all the laptops were I'm installing windows 10 enterprise I'm having the same problem. The VGA port renders useless. That's why after replacing the motherboard the problem was not fixed. I contacted support and to my amazement they said that they can not assist me because they don't provide support for Windows 10 Enterprise!!!

Do that make sense to you? I need to use the enterprise version for several reasons so how can I fix this?

#4 3d1l

3d1l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

Forget about the second issue. I found out that that's the way the Dell monitor works. So in that regards is not the fault of the laptop. But I still need to fix the first issue with the VGA port and Windows 10 enterprise.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:28 AM

What happens if you connect the monitor with the computer off then turn the monitor on and finally turn the computer on.  One possibility is that the laptop is sending a resolution, or refresh rate, that is not handled by the monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users