Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 will not activate

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:39 PM

I have an HP 15 laptop running 8.1 64 bit. I am not sure when it happened, but suddenly I am being asked to activate windows. There is a watermark in the lower right of the screen showing "Windows 8.1 Build 9600".

Again, not sure when this happened. Originally, I was trying to diagnose a black screen. I had it hooked up to an external monitor and tried running updates on all sorts of drivers, including BIOS (all directly from HP). I also tried running all Win updates, but they continued to fail. Ultimately, I realized that the screen was going to need replacement. That's when I started getting the "activate windows" message. I replaced the screen, but have been battling this activation issue ever since.

I contacted HP chat support. They had me run a full system restore.  No luck. I tried to reenter the CD Key using slui.exe 4 no luck. I tried to get the phone activation option by using slui.exe 3. I was able to choose my country, but then it just spins. Never gets to an installation id nor does it give me a phone number to call.

I have checked the hdd for errors.

I don't know what else to try. Can anyone offer advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

Right click on Computer and select Properties.  See if you computer is listed as activated.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:13 PM

Windows is not activated.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:21 PM

Download Firmware Tables View. Check to see if the key you are entering is the one shown in firmware. This only holds true if the computer was pre-installed with 8 or 8.1. Look under the MSDM table.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/firmware_tables_view.html

http://www.nextofwindows.com/firmwaretablesview-to-retrieve-windows-8-1-product-key-from-bios

#5 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for your help.  It is the same key.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,028 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:50 AM

Call (888) 571-2048 and wait for a live person. Explain the computer was pre-installed with Windows 8 and you retrieved the key from firmware and still could not activate.

#7 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:29 PM

Just to update. I am going round and round with Microsoft and HP. I called the number you referenced as well as 800-642-7676. I went through the whole process with 2 different techs. Neither could come to a solution. They had me do a full reset as well as a full refresh. 

One thing I am wondering about.  As part of my initial project, I was downloading updated drivers, etc directly from HP. I downloaded and ran a bios update. Could that have somehow "changed" my license?  Also, a strange issue, my windows 8.1 does not notate whether it is the Home or Pro edition, just says Windows 8.1.  When I run slmgr.vbs /dli, it says "Error: 0x80070426 On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0x80070426' to display error text". When I run the command, I get "The service has not been started". 

Thoughts?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,028 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

I think the BIOS update may have done something but I am not sure what. If the BIOS was on the computer's support site I cannot understand why this would affect activation. If your key is in firmware that should have been sufficient to activate. 

As a nuclear option you could download fresh install media of Windows 8.1 here and do a clean install. You would need all your program licenses and also you would need to backup all  your personal data.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

#9 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

Just to close the loop, I was forced to do a clean re-install of Win 8.1.  I'm not going to get into particulars, but suffice it to say, the new install worked.  I was then able to upgrade to Windows 10 and the world is good.

Let me just say, however, that Microsoft and HP were completely useless in this process!  I spent countless hours with them, between chat and phone, and they could not deliver a solution.  They scheduled a call back to assist me and then never called.  I cannot believe that they are so unhelpful.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by bomber1712, 29 May 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,028 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post your solution and thoughts on HP's and Microsoft's customer support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users