Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary browser options/opinions for Mint/Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:29 PM

Hi all,

I've been looking into adding another browser as a back-up.  I don't really have any hands on experience with anything other than Firefox and IE, so I was looking for suggestions as to something easy to play with on Linux.  I like the idea of Chromium (as opposed to Chrome) but I've read conflicting opinions to the effect that by the time one is done setting Chromium up, it's more or less the same as Chrome, and I'm not really a Google anything fan.  I've never seen Opera, but may be interested, depending on if it's compatible with 16.04 and offshoots.

I should probably mention the main interest here is due to the way things seem to be headed with Firefox (privacy/security, plugin-support, etc), which I would assume would affect the derivatives as well.  I've also just been lazy about having a second one for those times when the developers "improvements" make life interesting.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup2:

ETA-If this belongs in the regular "web browsing" forum, please move.  I put it here because I'm looking for Linux compatible.

Edited by 66Batmobile, 21 May 2016 - 10:30 PM.

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,875 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:25 AM

Vivaldi is a good option, click my sig! (Shameless plug, shameless plug)

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,737 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

Don't like Google much either but that is one of the best we got to work with.  Seeing you have 64bit I would go with Chrome and see if you can get yourself on board.  Chrome and Chromium - from the standpoint of the average user - won't be much different from what I see, get them both and see how they work for you.  I use Chrome over Firefox because the ease in which the Bookmark Manager works, it's just way better for me, but still could use some tweaking imo.  It's always difficult changing browsers, took me a while to go to Chrome from IE, and now wouldn't go back.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

Chromium is like Chrome with some features removed: some related to privacy, others related to licensing issues; but still relies on some Google services.

Vivaldi is also a good choice (from one of the developers of Opera) and relies on the Chromium rendering engine.

Firefox is my loved one but lately I'm using more Chromium. Just a personal choice.

#5 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

Nice!  This one looks like it has possibilities.  I dug the site, and it looked good in some of the videos I found.  I know it's brand new (only on version 1), but how have you liked it so far?  Most of the feedback I've found refers to the Beta releases, and it seems like they're still getting everything smoothed out.

Chromium is like Chrome with some features removed: some related to privacy, others related to licensing issues; but still relies on some Google services.

The bolded is the part I'm trying to learn about.  If, when it's all said and done, there's nothing to be gained by going with Chromium, I may have to concede defeat :unsure:

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:39 PM

Does Vivaldi have the option for multiple homepages ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

Does Vivaldi have the option for multiple homepages ??

There's a feature called "Speed Dial" which shows the browser open with 6 medium size  "thumbnail" type images of different webpages on it...is that what you're after? 

Seems you can set a specific homepage as usual, but this showed the browser opening as two tabs, one with the Speed Dial thing, and the other with the users selected homepage.

I'm probably not describing that well...

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,875 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:47 PM

Nice!  This one looks like it has possibilities.  I dug the site, and it looked good in some of the videos I found.  I know it's brand new (only on version 1), but how have you liked it so far?  Most of the feedback I've found refers to the Beta releases, and it seems like they're still getting everything smoothed out.

The bolded is the part I'm trying to learn about.  If, when it's all said and done, there's nothing to be gained by going with Chromium, I may have to concede defeat :unsure:

Yeah as of Vivaldi 1.1 its still a tad unstable at times and is missing features that I take for granted in chrome (mainly account management) still its off to a imppressive start and in time it can grow into a great chrome replacement

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 May 2016 - 09:48 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,067 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:10 PM

Chromium is the open-source project that forms the basis for Google Chrome.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

Thanks, @NickAu, that's correct. I shouldn't have said Chromium is like Chrome with some features removed (which is misleading) but the contrary  :)

@66Batmobile, Wikipedia has more details on what Chrome adds on top of Chromium source code.

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:10 AM

Leaping Lizards, 66Batmobile, I have forgotten which 16.04 you opted for, was it Unity or MATE?

:wizardball: Wiz

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:24 AM

I tried to install Vivaldi but no joy for me. I have tried to post about my experiences with it several times today but each time I get part way thru the whole bloody post disappears while writeing it.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:07 AM

@dannyboy950, if you simply click in the reply area, there should be a small heading at the bottom left hand corner of this area that says " last auto saved 3051pm" (or whatever the time was)...and you can click on it there to restore that content to your reply.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:13 AM

@condobloke:

Quite right, usually, but not always. With my having typed in three "@member" references, it has saved at 5:56:34pm your time and mine, and usually saves every 3 - 5 mins (haven't clocked it yet), but sometimes I lose gobs of info, for no determinable reason. Good memory helps, there. Other tip is if you are typing a long Post, type it in eg LibreOffice, copy & paste, and you have a record of it as well.

@dannyboy950:

DB you have definitely crossed someone in a previous life ... lol. You get some of the BEST problems ... Murphy's Law, bet you wish you didn't sometimes. Re Vivaldi I have yet to try it, but can throw it on one of my Cinnamon if you like (it gets good reviews from some here) and if successful, put together a video or screenshots? Might call for you to start a new Topic.

@TheOP:

A wee wander through Synaptic Package Manager (keyword browser), and scratch my earlier question of which flavour of Ubuntu 16.04, will lead to the following:

• dillo
  • konqueror
  • links2
  • midori
  • qupzilla and
  • xombrero (the latter not in Mint Cinnamon nor Mint MATE)

... as well as others, but you have to wade through a long list and know what you are looking for

Using Software Manager/Centre using "browser" - even easier

j1pVcDk.png

If you want lightweight minimalist, go no further than Dillo (based on Armadillo)

Full feature - Midori ... has a few features the others don't.

I've tried konqueror (ships with a lot of KDE), wasn't crazy about it, but may give it another try.

Hope this doesn't confuse, and I still stick with my beloved FF as I have since the early Noughties, first in Windows, then Linux.

But Linux is all about choice, and freedom, so be prepared to expand your horizons and give things a go. I will try Vivaldi soon.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,737 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

Do yourself a favor and go with Chrome, and make sure you get the 64bit.  

Choose "Download Chrome for another platform"

Then "64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)" if you indeed have 64bit.  Or, it will be auto detected, but I'm in Windows now.  Otherwise as you probably know...32bit is no longer supported.

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

Edited by pcpunk, 24 May 2016 - 05:22 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users