Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Errors 0xc000000e & 0x4001100200001012 Installing Win7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joshuals

joshuals

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

Dell Inspiron N5010 Laptop

OEM OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Hard drive was recently wiped clean with Killdisk

Then attempted to reinstall Win7 from System Restore Disks made when computer was new (2011). Installation completes successfully, and will restart to bring up the Widows Setup and Desktop, but upon a subsequent reboot the following error message comes up:

WINDOWS FAILED TO START. A RECENT HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE CHANGE MIGHT BE THE CAUSE
 SUGGESTED FIX
 INSERT WINDOWS INSTALLATION DISK & RESTART COMPUTER
 CHOOSE LANGUAGE SETTINGS & CLICK NEXT
 INFO: THE BOOT SELECTION FAILED BECAUSE A REQUIRED DEVICE IS INACCESSIBLE

Of course I do not have a Windows7 Retail Installation Disk since the OS is OEM, so there is no way to access the Recovery Environment to attempt a Repair of Windows, and ISO's for Windows 7 do not appear to be available from legitimate sources.  Computer is out of warranty so no help from Dell.

I have a System Repair Disk that I created in 2012 but attempting to use it gives error 0x4001100200001012.  I have also have a new System Repair Disk that I created immediately after the recent fresh install (from the System Restore Disks), but it also gives error 0x4001100200001012

This appears to be a known issue with Dell and involves the MBR.  I have also attempted to repair the MBR using Linux Mint, but no joy.

In short, I can restore the laptop to factory settings (using the System Restore Disks) an infinite number of times, but cannot reboot without generating the above error message and cannot access the Recovery Environment.

Anyone have any ideas how to get Win7 reinstalled on this system?

Edited by joshuals, 21 May 2016 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:38 AM

You can get Official untouched MS/MSDN ISO's from Techbench's download page... it's desinged for downloading Win 10 media creation ISO's but with a little trick that's floating around the Innernetz you can use that page to download Win 7, 8, 8.1 & 10 ISO's of all flavors. It goes like this

The code has been posted on Pastebin. Here is what you need to do:

Open the Microsoft Tech Bench website in a browser of choice that supports Developer Tools, and here the console (e.g. Firefox or Chrome).

If you are using Google Chrome, use Ctrl-Shift-J, if you are using Firefox, use Ctrl-Shift-K to open the console.

Visit the Pastebin website and copy the code posted there. (I've posted it below, also works- open spoiler)

Paste all of it to the console and hit enter. To do that, click inside the console area and use Ctrl-V to paste it. Alternatively, right-click with the mouse in the area and select paste from the menu. Hit enter then close the Web Dev console.

Spoiler

Once you have done that, click on the (now blue) "select edition menu" (see below, open spoiler) There you find listed dozens of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 ISO images that you can download in the same way that you can download Windows 10

Spoiler

The process is identical to Windows 10: select the desired version and hit confirm. Wait for server validation, select the desired language and hit confirm. The server validates the request again, and you get ISO download links for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the selected Windows version.

You find all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 versions on the page with the exception of Enterprise.

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 May 2016 - 02:43 AM.

#3 joshuals

joshuals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:41 AM

@U-T.......

Thank you for your response.  I had seen this trick during my research but wasn't sure it was legit so I looked for other solutions.

Gave it a shot after reading your post; it's downloading at this time.....looks like it will take a while. 

All I want to do is to get this laptop back to it's factory state; not sure why Microsoft or Dell doesn't provide a way for OEM purchasers to do that.  I'm asking myself what percentage of Windows users do not have OEM versions running on their computers and what percentage actually do have Windows installation disks.  I bet it's small.

Pretty feeble when a user creates a System Restore Disk at the time of purchase and a System Repair Disk later along the way, and then when they need them, both of them result in errors.

And I wouldn't be doing this reinstall at all on this old laptop if my new Win10 OEM laptop didn't have so many connectivity problems that I need to keep a backup Win7 computer.

Just sayin'...... 

Thanks again...

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

You're welcome :) Which version did you DL?

Is it legit/legal? A matter of semantics and/or intentions IMHO... M$ may beg to differ lol. If you're gonna use your ISO with a legal license that you own & M$ is NOT gonna make available said ISO's, or make you jump thru 57 hoops to acquire said ISO's for OEM System owners, etc  then all's fair IMO. They had the DigitalRiver ISO's freely available for YEARS until Windows 10 showed up on the scene when M$ abruptly pulled them.

Coincidence? I think not... but then again I'm a cranky and highly skeptical Old Codger... ask any of the Admins / Mods here at BC :whistle: :P

If you're gonna use the ISO's for nefarious purposes such as "Hacktivating" a free Windows OS then definitely, no. But OTOH M$ doesn't seem to mind nor lift a finger to stop/prevent the millions upon millions of Chinese nationals/Corporations (Billions?) running illegal versions of M$ OS's.

If you get stuck I have a Windows 7 Pro SP1x64 Dell OEM full installation ISO I legally acquired for free (I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3542 still supported) from the Dell Drivers & Downloads support page that I'd gladly share with you, these will work on any Dell system that supports Windows 7.  I checked your version (Dell Inspiron N5010) and such ISO is not available to you, probably because your laptop is end-of-life.

HTH :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 May 2016 - 10:39 AM.

#5 joshuals

joshuals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

I am downloading Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1. The OEM version originally installed on that old laptop was before SP1, but along the way it updated to SP1.  I'm hoping, once things get up and running, it will update itself again to SP1.

This old laptop has quite a history: last fall an in-place upgrade from Win7 to Win10 was done, so it's authorized on Microsoft's server for Win10.  Then it began overheating so I disassembled it, cleaned the heat sink, reassembled it and did a fresh install of Win10.  Ran fine after the cleaning.  Then I bought a new Win10 OEM laptop, wiped the old laptop, and installed Linux Mint 17.3 on it.  Didn't care for Linux; fun to fool with but too many compatibility problems with 25 years of data files created under Windows.  When the new laptop began to have connectivity problems, I decided to reinstall Win7 on the old laptop to use as a backup. That's how I got to where I am today. 

Thank you for your offer......let's wait and see how things go with this download.  Unfortunately, when my back was turned, the computer went to sleep and terminated the original download <sigh>.....so I'm on attempt #2 now.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:10 PM

1) This old laptop has quite a history:... Then it began overheating so I disassembled it, cleaned the heat sink, reassembled it and did a fresh install...

2) Thank you for your offer......let's wait and see how things go with this download....

1) did this laptop come with an AMD board? Lot's of problems with those builds, Google Search: Dell Inspiron AMD 7 beeps GPU solder  (15,000 + hits) I recently "fixed" (band-aid at best really) my cousin's old Inspiron "N" laptop by re-flowing the GPU solder described in the YouTube videos at the top of the results. Laptop gave off MUCHO heat combined w/ a serious design flaw in those AMD boards soldering process.

2) Sure enough, PM me or reply here if you need it. :)

Nice "talking" to you, good luck!

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 May 2016 - 08:32 PM.

#7 joshuals

joshuals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

The processor is an Intel I-5-480M.  The computer would boot OK but would shut down suddenly when stressed.  Under normal use it was OK, but running a disk-intensive app would shut it down.

I really had no idea what I was doing, but followed a YouTube video to take it apart, remove the heat sink, clean it, apply the thermal paste, and reassemble.  It was a learning experience.  Amazingly enough I've had no further problems with overheating.  The heat sink fan vents were 80% plugged with dust which I expect explains the overheating.

Just an update on the Win7 download.....the second attempt stalled several times and I was able to restart it, but eventually it seemed to cancel itself (!) after having downloaded about 1GB.  So I started over from zero.  It's downloading at about the rate of about 100MB per hour.  Pretty painful to watch.  I have about 23 hours left before the link becomes invalid, at which time I don't know what happens.  We'll see.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:45 PM

Correction my cuz's Laptop was an Inspiron 15 M5010 AMD Athlon II P320 board. My experience was much like yours, downloaded guides & watched YouTube vids, explored online Comp help forums and now I know how to properly maintain my own lappys.. I have 2, the Dell I mentioned and an  MSI Performance laptop with 16 gb of ram, 2 internal hdds... a 250 gb Samsung SSD & 1tb WD spinner. The DVD drive can be convert to a 3rd HDD drive if necessary with a $10 DVD to HDD bay converter.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:24 AM

Check your messenger inbox :)

#10 joshuals

joshuals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

The solution given in Post #2 did not work for me. After running the script from Pastebin I was able to expand the dropdown box on the Tech Bench site and find the version of Win7 that I needed, but the download was extermely slow (about 100Mb per hour). I had numerous instances where the download failed, but I was able to restart it again until, after about 12 hours, each attempt to restart the download met with immediate failure. Af first I blamed the slowness on my Internet connection, but subsequent downloads from other sites proceeded normally.

However I was able to do a workaround that I will outline below in hopes that it might help someone.

Recall that I stated I had created Restore Disks on the day I purchased the computer. The Recovery data spanned two disks. Also recall that this is being done on an Dell computer.
  • With the hard drive completely wiped of any operating system insert System Restore Disk #1 and restart the computer
  • When prompted select the option to do a Factory Recovery
  • When promped select the Factory Image from the dropdown; it will list the date and time that it was created
  • When prompted allow all files on the disk to be overwritten
  • A message will come up that files are being copied to the computer
  • Insert Restore Disk #2 when prompted
  • When all files have been copied from disk the Restore Process will install Windows and at the final screen it will ask to do a Restart
  • Simultaneously click Restart and tap F8; in lieu of restarting Windows this action should bring up the Advanced Boot Manager
    • If F8 does not work, try F12 which will then give you the option to hit F8
  • From the Advanced Boot Manager select Repair Computer
  • Select the option "TO ACCESS COMMAND PROMPT AS WELL LOG ON AS AN ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT" and click through the password prompt (since no password has yet been created)
  • This action should bring up the System Recover Options Screen; select Command Prompt
  • Type in the following commands, one at a time, and press <Enter> after each entry (Reference: This Document)
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot
    • bootrec.exe /scanos
    • bcdedit /export c:\bdc_backup
    • c:
    • cd boot
    • attrib bcd -s -h -r
    • ren c:\boot bcd bcd.old
    • bootrec /rebuildbcd
    • At the prompt "Add Installation to Boot List?" select "Yes"
  • Back out out of the System Recovery Options and click Restart
  • At Restart, proceed with the first Boot of Windows and follow the prompts to set up Windows on this computer.
Unlike previous attempts to install Windows, subsequent reboots were successful and no further error messages, as described in Post #1, were encountered. I understand some of the commands I entered may have been redundant or superfluous or unnecessary, but I simply used them all in an last-ditch attempt to get this working. The key seems to be to enter the Recovery Environment and execute the commands before the first time Windows boots.

From this point I was able to do Windows Updates, eventually updating to SP1 and getting to the point that no further updates were found.

Hope this helps someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users