Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Importing mbox file in Thunderbird gives only empty local subdirectories without

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:22 PM

The process seemed simple enough, but importing downloaded mbox file only gave empty subdirectories in the Local folder and no email records and no email content and no account-like set of directories shown.  No error messages.  I cannot imagine having done anything wrong.

I followed advice found in a couple of videos from youtube as well as some other online articles which I did not keep track of.  The youtube video which I did follow was     and also 

Thunderbird version 45, but from Portable Apps, and the Import Export Tool extension was downloaded and installed just last night.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

I've used and known Mozilla Thunderbird for some time now.  Where was this mbox imported from?  I'd like to learn alongside of you.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:36 PM

I've used and known Mozilla Thunderbird for some time now.  Where was this mbox imported from?  I'd like to learn alongside of you.

It was a Gmail Takeout from one of my GMail accounts.

In case you ask, I DID extract the downloaded zip file.

Some further information:  Thunderbird (portable form) was used on a usb flash drive, and a computer with Windows 10 was used.

Edited by cafejose, 21 May 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:56 PM

Some internet searching gave a listing of an article, https://backupify.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203099108-How-to-view-Gmail-Exports-locally-on-your-computer , which is not completely clear and maybe, I wonder, if some of this article is wrong?  Anyone can give helpful comments about it.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:11 AM

What I'm finding now is that folder structure from the email account does not hold up and the quantity of emails between the account and the mbox imported to thunderbird does not match.

Some advice was found near or at the end of this article: https://commons.lbl.gov/display/~jwelcher@lbl.gov/Reading+an+mbox+file+with+Thunderbird

So I put the mbox file into the local folder for Thunderbird, in the "profile" directory, and then reopened Thunderbird.  Now, through Thunderbird application itself, I open Local Folder, see the mbox file, click it, and there are the email messages.  No folder subdirectory or categories are shown.  Thunderbird shows a listed of 55 emails messages.  On the other hand, when I go to Gmail as webmail through a browser, and count, I find  35 messages in Inbox folder and 12 messages in Sent folder.  This is  55 messages in Thunderbird's Local, versus  47 messages found in the webmail account.  The difference should ONLY be 2; not 8. 

Not know what to think about the message count differences, but is there some way to keep the same email messages directory structure both in the webmail AND in Thunderbird?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:20 AM

If you elsewhere get an answer to your directory structure question, post it here so we can learn from you.

Edited by RolandJS, 22 May 2016 - 09:07 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:53 AM

The attempts that I described for getting an offline backup for the GMail account's emails were done in T-bird without having that account configured into T-bird.  Should I setup the account in Thunderbird and try the import-export again to get a backup of that account's emails to the Local folder of Thunderbird?  If so, how?  I should try it and see what happens, but I ask here, first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users