Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Ram Not Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ATMEL+123

ATMEL+123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

Hi, 

I purchased a Hp Pavillion mini recently which  came with 4gb ram, as the machine has a second RAM slot I decided to upgrade the RAM on it with an additional 4gb of RAM. SO I went out and purchased a 4GB Ram module only to find out it's not working on my machine. can someone please advise if the RAM module I purchased should work on my machine going by the following info:

here the RAM Module I purhasedt:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/4gb-ddr3-1600mhz-laptop-memory-n13nw

4GB DDR3 1600MHz Laptop Memory

• Upgrade your Laptop's RAM by an additional 4GB• DDR3 Non-ECC memory module• PC3-12800 / 1600MHz
• 204-pin Small Outline Dual In-line Memory Module (SODIMM)
• CAS latency: 9 cycles
• Voltage: 1.5V

manufacturer  says the following RAM module specification compatible:

• Amount: 4 GB
  • Speed: PC3-12800 MB/s
  • Type: DDR3-1600
Memory upgrade information
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR3 SODIMM sockets
  • Supports up to PC3-14900 (1866 MHz)
  • Supports 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB SODIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit* system 

Many thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

Did you try the new stick by itself?

When I purchased RAM for an earlier computer, my new stick[s] did not work; turns out, at least back then, the internal architecture of the new did not match the old, the new was not accepted by that computer.

Edited by RolandJS, 21 May 2016 - 06:25 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 ATMEL+123

ATMEL+123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

Did you try the new stick by itself?

When I purchased RAM for an earlier computer, my new stick[s] did not work; turns out, at least back then, the internal architecture of the new did not match the old, the new was not accepted by that computer.

Thanks for the reply, when I tried the new stick by itself, the machine didn't start up, i kept hearing the bios beeping sound with no image on screen, so I re inserted the existing RAM. I just want to know some how  if the stick itself is faulty so I can get my money back. When I asked the guy in store they advised me the stick should work but it's not working. 

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

Don't imply to the shop their stick is faulty -- it may not be.  If the old ways are the same presently, I think the internal "electronics" architecture of the new stick is different than the old stick, and therefore not being accepted by the computer.  Did you bring the old stick into their place earlier?  If not, in a static bag, let them get a real close look -- refund the present new stick and order you a new stick with the exact same internal architecture as the original stick.  Also, think about this:  2x8GB if the computer will allow.  Again, watch the internal architecture.

And, of course, it is possible the new stick is defective.  This time, bring the old stick and the laptop [w/ ac cord] into the shop, test their replacement stick right in the shop/store.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

If you tried the new stick in the same slot as the old one and the computer wouldn't accept it...then the stick is bad.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

If you tried the new stick in the same slot as the old one and the computer wouldn't accept it...then the stick is bad.

Thanks Buddy!  I rushed in here to ask that, did he try the old stick in the 2nd slot - which if the original works there also, that would rule out the motherboard RAM slot being bad.

#7 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:15 AM

Without knowing the model # of the Mini nobody can accurately advise you.

Without knowing the timing of the RAM currently present hampers much reply as well.  This may be determined with the app CPU-z and the SPD tab.  Although since you have had it out you should know the make and model # of the stick.

Since the new stick by itself does not work, I would replace the original stick and update the BIOS to the most recent revision.  Then after confirming the BIOS is updated and the Mini is working properly swap the RAM and see if it now works.

If it does not, replace RAM.

If it does work, add second stick and see if it now works.  If not, swap the positions of the sticks and try again.

If it still doesn't work you need to install known compatible RAM.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 23 May 2016 - 12:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users