Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What free programs protect against trojans, rootkits, spyware, etc.?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yologirlll

yologirlll

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:48 PM

Hi. I'm currently using SUPERAntiSpyware for spyware, norton for viruses and malwarebytes for malware. Recently installed superantispyware so I'm not sure if its good, do you recommend it or is there another one better out there?[/size]

I need protection for the other smaller things out there like trojans, rootkits and everything else thats not virus/malware.[/size]

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

I believe there are ;many fine programs, just to name a few: Malwarebytes combine [anti-malware, anti-exploit, anti-ransom], Emsisoft AM, Win Anti-Ransom, WinPrivacy.  The list of the top five or top ten -- depends upon who you ask.  Not everything is going to be forever free, some, but not all, of these utilities [especially concerning real time protection shields] carry a 30-day trial period then revert to nonShield free versions.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 yologirlll

yologirlll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

What programs do you use?

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

Hello and welcome, @yologirlll:

There is no one "best" program or selection of programs that best suits all computer, users, and budgets.

A layered approach is important. Each component fills a different niche in the security strategy, rather than overlapping or duplicating other applications (IOW, one wants to have only ONE AV, ONE anti-malware, ONE anti-exploit, etc.).  But no program or programs can protect 100% of computers from 100% of malware 100% of the time -- safe computing practices by the computer user are the most critical defense.

@quietman7 has crafted several authoritative, comprehensive, detailed forum "stickies" about personal computer safety. 

I suggest starting here: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

Just a few minor tweaks to @RolandJS's advice:

First, MBARW (Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware) is a BETA product at this time and should not be installed in a production environment.

Also, the Trial period for MBAM Trial and MBAE Trial is 14 days, not 30.

More information here:  MBAM   MBAE   MBARW-BETA

Cheers,

MM

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the tweak, MoxieMomma!  Trying to remember the numerous software free-trial times -- I got this one wrong.

Yeah, it's best to not install Beta Whatever on any production computer, I missed it being a production computer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

I can list some free software for you to check out, I won't go into what they do, I'll leave that up to you to research, but most if not all are highly regarded. A lot of these have both free and paid versions.

Spyshelter

NoVirus Thanks Exe Radar Pro

Spyware Blaster

Cryptoprevent

Malwarebytes AntiExploit

Sandboxie

Trusteer Rapport

Keyscrambler

Heimdal

Crystal Security

Zemana Anti Key Logger

I would strongly suggest that you do not rush in and try all of this software at once, but do some research and see what each one does and from that determine your needs. You have to determine what works good together and what works good with what you are using now. Take your time. A good adblocker such as Ublock Original would also help. I would also suggest dumping Superantispyware, it seems to have fallen out of favour with the security crowd recently, basically it is good for detecting cookies, for anything else, not so much, there are much better products our there. With Malwarebytes you shouldn't need it at all especially if your using the paid version.

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:50 AM

Hi all!

There is also SpywareBlaster and WinPatrol FREE / PLUS, both of which have free as well as paid versions, i.e. the latter with extra functionality.

In addition there is Ghostery, which is free.

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 22 May 2016 - 05:59 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:46 PM

List of Free PUP/Adware/Toolbars/Browser Hijacking Scan Tools:

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools to supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion in these topics:

List of Ransomware Prevention Tools:

List of Browser Protecton Tools:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users