Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i get started in IT

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 careingemt

careingemt

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

Hello all

Im new to this fourm.. I'm interested in learning about computers. Where should I start as an a beginner?. I do know a little (i did figure out how to share pc's on my home network) I've heard everyone starts with computer fundamentals. Could anyone recommend a starting point... youtube vids mabye?

Any info is appreciated

Thanks

Fran

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

To get into IT you're going to need certification until you can get experience.  The base certification is CompTIA's A+.  Next up would be CompTIA's Network+.  While A+ should be enough to get you a Help Desk job the Network+ is good to give you a better understanding of how a network fits together.  Both of these should be considered foundation, neither is everything you need to know, just something that you can build on.

Once you're in IT you can decide what direction you want to go and get more certifications or training to meet those goals.

I can recommend the TWiT Network's Security Now! podcast.  You can find the old podcasts archived on GRC.com

What you will find out as you advance is that what you need to learn for certifications may conflict with how things actually work in the real world.  It makes gaining additional certifications once you have experience more difficult as you have the test answer and the real world answer.

#3 careingemt

careingemt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for your reply... I now have a good starting point. Thanks for the 2 links.

i appreciate your info

Fran 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users