Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

computer is acting weird, chrome and networking sharing center unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 osbald

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:58 PM

Built my PC last Nov. Never had any issue. Left home for 2 days (turned off PC while I was away).

when I came back, first weird thing I noticed at the password menu was that the Ethernet icon had a white circle around it.

When I logged in, noticed that there was no internet icon (Ethernet or WIFI on the toolbar). After awhile, it appeared on its own, but after another while, the PC screen flashed for half a second, and I noticed the icon has disappeared again!

The second weird thing is that I can neither access network sharing center nor Chrome. When I click on these two, they are just completely unresponsive. Chrome shows up in task manager, but I don't see the windows appearing at all! Clicking on network sharing center actually freezes the PC slightly.

Everything else seems to work fine. Internet actually works through Microsoft Edge. Other programs, folders and software seem to work normally as well.

I'm very worried that my PC has been infected, though Bit Defender hasn't detected anything so far. Anyone knows what's going on? Please help me! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,749 posts
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

Try doing a System Restore to a restore point before you left home for 2 days.

From the web:

1. Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.

2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.

3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

4. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

• If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check, go to the Control Panel, search for Recovery, and then select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.

EDIT: Have you tried starting Chrome without using the Chrome desktop shortcut? If not, click on Start and find Chrome and double click on it.

Edited by buddy215, 21 May 2016 - 07:53 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users