Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezing during backup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sunbound

sunbound

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:56 PM

I recently re-installed windows 10, from scratch, to a brand new SSD. the install seemed to go fine. I started installing applications... its great, except one little issue...

I want to back up the PC, now that I'm about done setting everything back up. 

Unfortunately, it freezes when i try to back it up. 

In the past, i have had luck using the image backup software that comes with windows AND easeUS Todo backup free. Unfortunately, i get the same result with either.... within a few seconds of starting the backup, my computer freezes... no error message... no BSOD, no clue as to what went wrong. I have tried different destinations for the backup... both SATA or USB, and i get the same result. 

Unfortunately, the only thing that will fix the issue is a hard reboot. PC works great otherwise. 

also, Unfortunately, neither solution works in safe mode... EaseUS complains about running in safe mode, and the windows image software opens than closes a split second later. 

Thanks

sunbound

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

have you tried a fresh install without adding applications then performing a back up? if that works try make a back up after each program install to see if maybe one program you install hinders the backup, I know this is a pain but it could help greatly in the future, what happens when you try a local back up? (on the c:)

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

I have only run across this when a virus was the cause.  The first thing it does is dis-able all the protection schemes.  Boot to safe mode and virus scan, malware, pop ups, it any checkers baulk the virus /worm is imbedded in the boot.  That calls for a factory reset and scan before proceeding. 

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:43 AM

Please run the backup software and let the system freeze.

Then do a hard reboot and as soon as you can, please generate these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:12 AM

What are you Backing Up to ? 

Sounds like if it is an external Drive its faulty and fails wether you use Usb or Sata it will always stall the PC and Lockup.

Try disconnecting the Usb / Sata when it locks up , and wait to see if it becomes responsive again.

Or check the Cables your using to do the Backup with.

Also try another harddrive to backup to.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

+1 to Havachat's comments above. If your computer is running 100% on everything else, including using flash drives in your USB ports and external drives to access normal data files,  the problem narrows to your backup setup including the drive you are using. Freezes (not BSODs) are usually driver conflicts or memory problems. Start swapping stuff including cables; in addition, I suggest trying Macrium Reflect free edition. just to test that there isn't some kind of driver conflict with your present backup software.

Also run Memtest 86+ on your memory (I suggest 1 stick at a time) and Seatools for DOS on all your drives, including your SSD.

[EDIT]: just an afterthought: did you install the motherboard drivers after installing W10?

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 May 2016 - 11:57 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 sunbound

sunbound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

After messing around with this for a while, and trying to backup to different destinations (network, USB hard drive, internal SATA) and failing, I tried just using the computer... i tried playing a game (Fallout 4) then it froze... OK? thats one of the reasons i re-installed windows... it would freeze sometimes when playing games. I tried an online game (forge of empires)... a few minutes in, it would freeze...

so it wasn't just the backup freezing things. 

After digging around i figured i would check things out in the bios... XMP was enabled. Once i disabled that and rebooted, everything has been rock-solid.

Thanks for your help guys. 

Appreciated. 

Edited by sunbound, 22 May 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:31 PM

Let's take a look at what the system can tell us..

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users