Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good laptop for comparing two docs side by side

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aparente001

aparente001

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

I would like to replace my Toshiba Portegé R835-P81 because the performance and resolution are not quite what I would like, and it has developed some overheating.

Portegé specs:
screen size: 13.3"
screen resolution: 1366 x 768
weight: 3.2 lbs

I would like to find a laptop with slightly higher resolution and slightly lower weight, if possible. I do a lot of editing, with two Word docs open side by side, going back and forth between the two. This sort of works on the Portegé. It doesn't work AT ALL on my partner's Acer Aspire V5-131.

I like the touchpad and the keyboard on the Portegé, and I hate the touchpad and keyboard on the Aspire. I use the Home key a lot. On the Aspire, you have to press the Function key in order to use the Home key (yuck).

Interestingly, the resolution on the Aspire and the Portegé are the same, but the screen size on the Aspire is only 11.6", and I guess that's the reason I can't have two Word docs open side by side comfortably without changing the margins. (Yes, I could zoom out but then I'd get eye strain.)

I do a lot of typing. I do not want a touch screen or Windows 10.  (Would like Windows 7.)

I would like built-in webcam for collaboration. Note, I am leery of a 0.66" thick laptop, concerned that it might have trouble keeping cool with a lot of processes running simultaneously:
Thunderbird
Two browsers with lots of tabs open
MS Word
Excel
Foxit PDF reader

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

Country you'll be purchasing this in?

Budget?

Edited by SEANIA, 15 June 2016 - 06:14 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 aparente001

aparente001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:10 PM

purchasing in the U.S., budget -- hoping to find something refurbished for less than $400.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:14 PM

It doesn't work AT ALL on my partner's Acer Aspire V5-131.

Acer is a company we like to avoid. Not the uhh sturdiest of products lets say. 

purchasing in the U.S., budget -- hoping to find something refurbished for less than $400.

If you're okay with windows 8, or downgrading to 7 later. Then this ASUS X751LAV-HI31003K would be good and run cooler then you could ever hope.

If you need windows 7. 

ehhh this would be perfect. You have no idea.

Dell Precision M6500

It's 425$, but it has a 1920 by 1200 screen. That resolution was literally made for viewing documents side by side. No joke. 

It uses professional graded quality parts like Nvidias Quadro series of GPU. Made to never ever die or have hickups. 

Back-lit keyboard for typing in dark places. (insanely useful. once you have you'll always want it)

Windows 7 Profesional, ETC ETC the thing was made to do exactly what you described.

It's not the lightest laptops ever, but that's because it's made not to die. It's for professional use. Where things aren't ever suppose to fail.

The battery might've gone bad considering it's age, but other then that if you're willing to pay the 25$ extra, it's the only thing that fits all your parameters...besides weight and its apparent thickness. 

Edited by SEANIA, 15 June 2016 - 11:15 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 aparente001

aparente001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:59 PM

Thanks, but both of them are much too heavy for me.

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:43 AM

Thanks, but both of them are much too heavy for me.

6 pounds is to heavy? What are you aiming for then?

Anything much lighter at that size would have to be thinner then the ASUS one I listed, and even then it gets classified as a "ultra book", and bargain bin start at 600$ for those. The next size down from the 15.6 is a "netbook" that has a 10 to 13 inch or so screen like the one you have now, and those don't come with high resolution screens like what you want, full fledged keyboards, or dedicated keys for much of anything. 

Can you maybe be more specific? cause it seems like what you're asking for isn't even made. They don't make a netbook with a 1080p screen, or a regular 15.6 inch laptop that's going to weigh less then 6 pounds that isn't thin. 

#7 aparente001

aparente001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:42 AM

It sounds like I may need to compromise a bit.

Here are the specs on the Portegé notebook:

screen size: 13.3"
screen resolution: 1366 x 768
weight: 3.2 lbs

The Acer netbook that is a little too small has an 11.6" screen.  (Aspire, model V5-131)

The combination 13.3" screen size + 1366 x 768 resolution works fairly well.  If I go down slightly with the screen size but go up a bit with the resolution I think I'll still be okay.

I would like to stay under 3 and a half pounds if at all possible.

#8 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

the performance.......not quite what I would like

Define "performance".

Should note that any laptop, overtime, will develop overheating problems if thy're not cleaned out regularly. Dust builds up in the heat sink, blocking airflow from the fan to it. Canned air isn't some kind of gimmick. It really is useful for cleaning that dust out. 

Maybe a lot of your performance problems are just that it just needs a tune up or a SSD.  I looked it up, and hardware side, your Portegé shouldn't be running into any performance issues for what you're doing. It has plenty of power.

To answer the rest form what I understand-

I would like to find a laptop with slightly higher resolution........if possible. 

The higher resolution isn't going to happen at the sub 15 inch screen size that you're looking for. It does exist, but only in very expensive netbooks outside your budget. So, Not possible. 

I would like to find a laptop with........ lower weight, if possible.

Portegé specs: weight: 3.2 lbs

I'm taken a bit of a assumption here, but are you caring it in a purse or in something small along the lines of that, that isn't really meant to hold more then a phone or small tablet? I can get size is an issues, and I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm really curious just how weight, lower then 3.2 pounds, plays into the equation. I see College students, who are the epitome of people who need supper portable laptops, regularly carry around 15.6 inch 6 pound laptops with zero issue or complaint.  

Usually I only even see weight that low tossed around as a marketing term that has nothing to do with actual real world use. Like apple saying they shaved off another gram from the newest iPhone. I have no idea how 1 gram is going to do anything at all, but some how that's a good enough reason for everyone to rush out and buy it. 

Maybe you could inform me? I am really curious as to why. As well as I think a whole ton of other people are to. 

*ahem*

I apologize for the rant. Despite having windows 8. This is the closest thing I could find. 

HP Pavilion 13-p111nr 

379$

Uses a SSD for supper fast and snappy use. Weighs 2.36 pounds. Has a 13.3 inch screen size- not to small that its unreadable like the Acer, but not to big that it's unusable for what it is that you're doing. Oh um, but it uses that weird touch pad where the buttons are integrated into the touch pad :/

I do a lot of typing. I do not want a touch screen or Windows 10.  (Would like Windows 7.)

Windows 7 isn't something you can find on laptops that lighter then what you have. The whole "supper light and small" thing for laptops didn't really hit until after Windows 8 had launched.  

I would like to replace my Toshiba Portegé R835-P81 because the performance and resolution are not quite what I would like, and it has developed some overheating.

Edited by SEANIA, 16 June 2016 - 04:57 PM.

#9 aparente001

aparente001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

I'll check into your suggestion, thanks.  I need the 3.5 pound weight because of a back injury.  I tried opening up the back and doing the cleaning thing, saw no improvement, took it to a shop where they put on new paste, I forget what it's called, to deal with the heat, but my temperature measurements showed no change.  The guy at the shop said that more recent models have a better layout (design) than the Portegé, and therefore have less overheating problems.  Also, he said the computer might hang less often if I put in a solid state disk.  Hope the context helps in understanding the situation.  Will look into the model you shared, thanks.

#10 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:38 PM

I'll check into your suggestion, thanks.  I need the 3.5 pound weight because of a back injury.  

Ahhhhh a back injury! Makes sense now. Bad backs run in my family. Not fun driving family members to the hospital because they tried to do something they really couldn't.

I tried opening up the back and doing the cleaning thing, saw no improvement, took it to a shop where they put on new paste, I forget what it's called, to deal with the heat, but my temperature measurements showed no change.  The guy at the shop said that more recent models have a better layout (design) than the Portegé, and therefore have less overheating problems.  Also, he said the computer might hang less often if I put in a solid state disk.

Sounds like a decent shop ^_^ those can be hard to find. 

Yeah should consider getting someone to put a soild state in any future computers you get that don't already come with one. The difference is night and day. 

My POS laptop, that's CPU is less then a third the speed of my desktop, is way faster then my desktop at doing simple tasks. My laptop boots from a cold standstill to completely on and operating in less then 10 seconds. my desktop can take up to 5 minutes before it's completely booted and usable. 

They're not expensive like they use to be either. A cheap 120GB is 45$, and a 240GB is 65$. You can't even get a regular drive for that cheap. 

Edited by SEANIA, 16 June 2016 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users