Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus M4A79T deluxe mobo - problems after BIOS update

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

Mobo: Asus M4A79T deluxe

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor

For a while I have thought my PC was slower than it used to be. The change was sudden some time ago. Yesterday I was playing with my new GoPro and found that the video playback on my PC was not good. I noticed that my Windows experience Index, for the CPU had dropped from 7.3 or so, to 3.7. Upon investigation I found that my CPU was stuck at 800MHz and x4 multiplier (using CPU-Z). I also found that Cool n Quiet was disabled, so this was not the problem.

I ended up deciding to update my BIOS to the latest version from the Asus website. The process seemed to go well. However, upon reboot I had 2 options. F1 to enter BIOS setup or F2 to use default settings. Selecting F2 allows the machine to boot once but upon restart the machine fails to post. Selecting F1 takes me into BIOS but if I try to save any changes the power IMMEDIATELY cuts and the machine then fails to post. The fans just come on running fast. My only way around this problem is to remove the battery from the Mobo for a short time and then reboot. This gives me back the F1 and F2 options. I can boot into the machine now by selecting F1 and then Esc to exit without changes. This avoids the problem of removing the battery.

I've tried going back to an older BIOS version but the problem persists.

I suspect that I need to change settings in the BIOS, or do something that allows the BIOS to save changes. I'm really stuck for what to do now and would really appreciate some help. I can post photos of the BIOS screens if it helps somebody to advise on setting that I should try.

Please let me know what I could try next.

Many thanks

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:56 PM

if you go back to a older bios version and the issues still persists try running with just 1 stick of ram in different slots as well as any boot devices disconnected wether it be HDD's or usb drives, this may not seem plausible however if it is still going on after trying ram in different spots as well as removing peripherals such as usb drives and hdd's it will narrow it down to either the mobo or the PSU, if you have another psu to test try that first it  could be coincidence that this happened when you updated the bios

ps: screenshots are always a welcome addition :)

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:15 AM

if you go back to a older bios version and the issues still persists try running with just 1 stick of ram in different slots as well as any boot devices disconnected wether it be HDD's or usb drives, this may not seem plausible however if it is still going on after trying ram in different spots as well as removing peripherals such as usb drives and hdd's it will narrow it down to either the mobo or the PSU, if you have another psu to test try that first it  could be coincidence that this happened when you updated the bios

ps: screenshots are always a welcome addition :)

I'm pretty sure this is a Motherboard issue. The main problem is that I cannot save changes to the BIOS without bricking the machine. As soon as I hit save and exit, the power immediately cuts and the machine fails to post until I reset the CMOS by removing the Mobo battery. I actually replaced the PSU a few months back (due to failure of the old one) with an EVGA G2 750W unit so that should be good, although I have a suspicion that the secondary problem of CPU speed started around that time. I have never had problems saving changes to the BIOS up until I reflashed the BIOS the other day. I've taken photos of my BIOS screens and will post them shortly to see if anybody might be able to notice something in there that could cause this issue.

I'm wondering also, may there be anything I need to do physically with the Motherboard after a BIOS reflash to enable it to save settings? Wipe some part of memory with jumpers or something?

#4 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:21 AM

2nk484z.jpg
6gv8fo.jpg
2iuwa6s.jpg
1zycvfr.jpg
xeex01.jpg
rcketx.jpg
foj7ra.jpg
5pfoqt.jpg
o6eo3p.jpg
t7jtcg.jpg
1zqtr4k.jpg
11rq9nb.jpg
6z7in5.jpg
vfz3aw.jpg
2i6lyj9.jpg
6q9ksg.jpg

Edited by Stephen W, 22 May 2016 - 04:39 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:03 AM

A couple of things to check that you've covered - with that board, according to the manual, to properly clear the CMOS memory, you may need to both remove the backup battery and move the CLRTC jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for 5 to 10 seconds, then return jumper & refit battery.

Also if the CPU parameters have become corrupted, the BIOS C.P.R (CPU Parameter Recall) does not activate unless mains power has been removed (i.e parameters will be retained by standby power). I assume mains power has been off at least for the backup battery removal, but some users otherwise never turn the mains power off, just use standby.

If the CMOS memory is corrupted and won't clear properly until the CLR jumper is used, the CPR may then not have been able to reset the CPU parameters even if the mains supply was removed.

Edited by Platypus, 22 May 2016 - 05:04 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:09 AM

A couple of things to check that you've covered - with that board, according to the manual, to properly clear the CMOS memory, you may need to both remove the backup battery and move the CLRTC jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for 5 to 10 seconds, then return jumper & refit battery.

Also if the CPU parameters have become corrupted, the BIOS C.P.R (CPU Parameter Recall) does not activate unless mains power has been removed (i.e parameters will be retained by standby power). I assume mains power has been off at least for the backup battery removal, but some users otherwise never turn the mains power off, just use standby.

If the CMOS memory is corrupted and won't clear properly until the CLR jumper is used, the CPR may then not have been able to reset the CPU parameters even if the mains supply was removed.

Thanks for your response. I hadn't tried the CLRTC jumper thing but decided to give it a try following your post. Unfortunately this had the same effect. I was pretty sure that removing the battery was working alone because the system time and date is lost after I do that.

I have to unplug the mains every time I take the battery out too so that can't be the issue.

From reading posts on other forums I don't think there can be too much wrong. By entering BIOS setup at post and exiting without saving changes, the machine boots up and operates fine. I'm am posting this message from the machine in question! Its just that saving changes to the BIOS screws it all up. I found a post on another forum here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2409839/system-boot-cmos-cleared.html#17998948

which describes a very similar problem with an Asus board and that problem seemed to be resolved by changing some of the default BIOS settings. I'm hoping my issue might be the same if somebody has the expertise to tell me which settings to change?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Does the VCORE always read that low? 1.34V is default for the CPU.

#8 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

Does the VCORE always read that low? 1.34V is default for the CPU.

Yes, I can watch the Core Voltage when in Windows using CPU-Z and it always hovers around 1V. I don't know if this is related to the fact the CPU runs only at 800MHz too. I replaced the Toughpower PSU a while back as a capacitor in it failed. I now have an EVGA G2 750W PSU which is supposed to be a good unit. I think this is when I first felt the machine had slowed down but can't be sure. However, I repaired the Toughpower and could try with that if necessary?

Edited by Stephen W, 22 May 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

What alerted you to the original PSU failure? Has it been tested on a dummy load, or just the capacitor replaced?

I'd wonder if the PSU damaged the VCORE regulator, and the board is continually trying to revert a supposed overclock error, if the VCORE is really 1V, even 800MHz might provoke an error condition.

Edited by Platypus, 22 May 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#10 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

What alerted you to the original PSU failure? Has it been tested on a dummy load, or just the capacitor replaced?

I'd wonder if the PSU damaged the VCORE regulator, and the board is continually trying to revert a supposed overclock error, if the VCORE is really 1V, even 800MHz might provoke an error condition.

One day the PC simply would not power on at all. I replaced the PSU and that seemed to resolve it. However, I noticed a bulging capacitor in the Toughpower unit and thought I'd replace it. After that the old PSU worked too but I stuck with using my new one.

You may be right that the old PSU damaged something but it was 10 months ago and the PC was still fine to use. My biggest concern is getting some settings to save to the BIOS without causing this problem where it no longer posts. I'd hate to have to go into BIOS and exit again at every boot for the foreseeable future.

I'm thinking that if the issues can't be fixed I could maybe just replace the Mobo. My Asus Mobo is no longer available though so not sure what I can get. Or do you think my processor is too old?

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

Since you said you felt the slow CPU problem may have started at the time the PSU failed, that could indicate the VCORE regulator has been only able to supply 1V since then. Would you have had reason to be saving BIOS settings between then and when you did the BIOS update? If updating the BIOS was the first occasion since then that you needed to save altered settings, maybe the board had the saving fault from then too.

Apart from the same type of process used for the board you referenced in the link, disabling peripherals etc, the main thing I would try would be turning off both Spread Spectrum options. Spread Spectrum wobbles the clock frequencies, and if anything is nearing instability or there is a problem with timings, it will make it worse.

If it is possible to manually adjust CPU voltage alone, I guess you could see if it can be set to the CPU spec voltage of 1.34V. But you might have to leave Auto mode and set all the parameters manually to do that.

As for advice on replacing the board, others will be more up with that than I will, my last AMD build was a K6-2/450!

Edited by Platypus, 22 May 2016 - 11:02 AM.

#12 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

Sounds to me like your BIOS installation was corrupt.  Roll it back or reinstall it.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A79T_Deluxe/

CrashFree BIOS 2

This feature allows you to restore the original BIOS data from the support CD in case when the BIOS codes and the data are corrupted. This protection eliminates the need to buy a replacement ROM chip.

EZ-Flash 2

Simply update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS.
EZ Flash 2 is a user-friendly BIOS update utility. Simply launch this tool and update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS. You can update your BIOS only in a few clicks without preparing an additional floppy diskette or using an OS-based flash utility.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A79T_Deluxe/HelpDesk/

Version 3503 2012/01/31
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM3/M4A79T_Deluxe/M4A79T-ASUS-Deluxe-3503.zip?_ga=1.242988992.337798135.1452473605

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

Sounds to me like your BIOS installation was corrupt.  Roll it back or reinstall it.

I've tried going back to an older BIOS version but the problem persists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users