Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexplained PC Freeze

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alex411

Alex411

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

HP 15 laptop
4gb mem
500gb HHD
windows 10

My mothers laptop froze for seemingly no reason today. She says she cut it on, got on a site she always goes on, left then came back and everything was frozen. I checked and nothing was operable. Even the HDD light on the side was blank. The laptops only a few months old as well and it was bought brand new and not refurbished. It's never displayed any defects or abnormalities. 

After restarting it by holding down the power button I ran a malware scan and right now I'm running a virus scan. I've asked her and my father if they have installed anything recently or gone onto any new websites. They said no, besides a new bejeweled game installed via CD-ROM 3 days ago there's nothing new on it. If anyone has an idea as to what could have happened or what I should do, I'd very much appreciate it.  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

For lots of reasons devices could get frozen, so I don't really know what to tell you. I recommend running System Restore and going back a few days, when everything was perfect. Even before Bejeweled.

#3 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

Alright, I'll probably do that.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:41 AM

Wait until it freezes again, restart it and immediately run these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

BSOD? Usasma, I don't think he had a BSOD...

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

BSOD? Usasma, I don't think he had a BSOD...

Correct that there was no mention of a BSOD by Alex411.

This board is Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support and provides help for things other than a BSOD.  A system freeze is well within the scope of this board.   

usasma knows what he is doing. He asks for specific information for a reason. It might give him clues about what is causing the freeze.

A tool can have more than one purpose.

He did say (bold mine)

1) Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis: http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 May 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:19 PM

Thanks Queen-Evie!  You're right, I've had many comments about the BSOD reports - so I added the  "(even though you may not be reporting BSOD's)" portion.

As I didn't write the programs for collecting this info, I didn't get to pick the name.

If it were up to me, the name of the programs would be SystemReportsGenerator.zip

I was involved in the development of both apps, but the issue of it's name didn't come up then.

The BSOD reports contain a lot of information in a lot of different reports.  Primarily I use the systeminfo.txt and the MSINFO32.nfo reports.  I also use the Application and System event log files when I need more information than is in the Admin log file report.  Finally, the other reports are needed at times, and aren't just for me.  Each analyst uses the reports that they're most comfortable with.

Finally, sometimes the unexpected happens - and there'll be memory dumps in the uploaded reports (even though the OP didn't report them).  These most often happen during shutdown and the OP hasn't noticed it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users