Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello from a senior citizen who refuses to act his age!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flingwing67

flingwing67

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

Years ago I used to go to another forum for computer issue discussions, but found this site and thought I'd give you guys a try.  I am just shy of 70 but am a long way from having my kids pick my rest home for me.  I still work a full time job in aviation  and love it.

I consider myself somewhere between novice and really sharp on computers.  My first computer language was Fortran IV.  That may be beyond the memory of many of you, but it used 80 column punch cards.  To borrow and paraphrase a quote from Henry Ford, "I may not know all, but I know when I need to call someone who does."  or words to that effect.  My current equipment consists of a Gateway PC (my wife's), and several laptops.  We are all using Windows, one 7 and the rest have upgraded to 10.

My primary purpose for being here is council.  Primary among that is computer protection.  All the ads say they have the answer to your malware (includes virus, trojans, tracking, ransomware, etc) issues, and many of them bring as many problems as they proclaim to cure.  I need a lot of help sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Hopefully, those of you that will be giving me council and have read this, will have enough from here to at least give you a benchmark (I'm beyond "the blinking thingy is the cursor").  With that, I'm looking forward to meeting you and discussing "areas of mutual interest".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

Nice to meet you! I'm opposite. I'm a young and enthusiastic child who loves dealing with computers! Haven't even hit my preteen years yet. I can help you with malware cleaning if you'd like! I also can recommend you to speak to some of our malware experts, such as Aura. He is currently a Malware Study Hall Senior! :)

Edited by DanieI, 22 May 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Forums!

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

I also can recommend you to speak to some of our malware experts, such as Aura. He is currently a Malware Study Hall Sophomore! :)

Aura is a Malware Study Hall Senior.

We also have many members who can answer your questions.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 May 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#5 flingwing67

flingwing67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

Thanks to all of you who replied.  My computer is already on the mend, and I hope we can get it to top performance soon.

#6 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

Thanks to all of you who replied.  My computer is already on the mend, and I hope we can get it to top performance soon.

I can help you get your PC to top performance! :) No problem for replying, by the way.

Some of my acquaintances like Queen-Evie, Aura, olgun52, pcpunk, etc. (including me) will help you with any issues you experience!

After all, that's what Bleeping Computer is all about.

PS: I have a test computer in my closet and I'm trying to dual boot Ubuntu 14.04 on it right now - so far it's working well, if it stays stable, I'll dual boot it with Windows 7 on my current machine!  :hysterical: 

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,001 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:39 AM

flingwing67,  :welcome:  to Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

Glad to gave you abroad, and hope that you enjoy being a member here. We're among the 'A-List' of Tech forums, having been covered by more than one major news network, so you're in good company here. If it's been done, or an incident happens, chances are, it's been experienced or has happened with one or more of our members. We have centuries of collective experience on hand. What one doesn't know, another usually will. :)

I consider myself somewhere between novice and really sharp on computers.

Yes, just above novice is where I place myself, evidently some I've done work for truly believes (in their own minds) that I'm a 'genius' with computers, but am not. When did having to read articles on the run & follow step-by-step instructions in the package entitle one to that status? It doesn't, it's folks that either doesn't have money (or are too tight fisted with theirs), add a dash of being a dimwit, raised deep in the country, no education (not even a HS graduate) & 35 years behind the times, and they see anyone who can perform most any task as a 'genius'. It does not require a degree from a university to unpack & setup a computer, install browsers & security, if not there already, adding a router & changing settings to securely create a network, installing a printer (wired or wireless), recovery from backup image, which by chance is preferred to Malware cleanup. Which one way or the other, I can also do, as long as it's no 'crypto' stuff, preferring a recent backup image created to restore instead. 

Because in my eyes, a Malware stricken OS is no longer trustworthy, and am not going to spend as long as 5-7 days in the 'Am I Infected' line, plus any needed time to create & pass logs, run batteries of tests & whatever else may be needed, which could embarrass me, as well as those who owns the computer being worked on, who may be unaware of what their kids of grandkids are up to on their computers. Many gets infected by running pirated Windows or other software. By then, could have used a bootable Linux CD to extract any wanted files to safety (and scan with multiple products to ensure these are clean), and had reinstalled the OS before someone personally greeted me. If only I had $2 for every time I've done this, at a minimum, would have a killer Z97 1150 MB with all the bells & whistles in front of me, and with luck, a case or Seasonic modular PSU (Gold rated) also, which will be part of the PC build covered more later in the post. :)

That said, if in the eyes of some, that alone makes me a 'genius', well it's themselves living in a fantasy world, what I've learned has came from others, and from the University of Hard Knocks. Where I once on recycle days, picked up used computers by the curbside, dove into recycle dumpsters where abandoned offices were being cleared. Hauled off as many computers as possible, along with reinstall media in boxes, cleaned up & repaired with parts from totally defective ones & kept one of the best for myself, gave the rest to the needy at no charge. :)

Come the next recycle day, the process would repeat itself, until I became less mobile, and now only assist others upon request. If by chance I see a PC sitting by the roadside, will pick up, if good, will install the latest Linux Mint & give to one in need (unless it has W7 or higher pre-installed) or HDD removed & Recovery Disc set taped to the side. Then will look at the configuration, if modern enough, may keep it, or stick HDD in large enough to fit the OS to reinstall, clone to an old SATA-1 HDD, remove any extra DDR3 RAM modules other than a single 2GB one, keep the RAM for my troubles, set the Performance options to disable cosmetics that slows the computer & give to one in need. 

Though come June 1st, my policies will change & will again effective Jan 1, 2017. I cannot continue to work on a pro-bono basis, other than what support I give here & pursue my own projects also. Though will check pricing at local PC shops, as well as Best Buy's 'Geek Squad' to set a fair price for everyone. 50% off of these prices for labor, still a 'gift' only with a handshake agreement on service, have always stood behind performed work, and a 10% mark up on components for my efforts in searching & waiting on arrival, using my PayPal account (this will have to stop, will have to look for gift cards to use instead) others marks up components by as much as 100%. 

Though now am looking for a good case for a build, so if one can hold a standard ATX or if looks good enough a mATX MB, will keep the case & anything that can be reused for repairs of my or other's computers. Which I do anyway, yet sometimes the cases looks bad for a new build. Am looking for something to perform a new build in to showcase (with a carry handle), not hide under a desk in embarrassment. Benchmark charts alone won't cut it for this PC, will be a total new build, using all new components, the CPU (i7-4790K) has been purchased & being broken in, yet may be delidded (if I can find a really great YouTube tutorial with everything shown) & use liquid metal rather than thermal paste for best cooling. There's one such liquid on the market, though not used for re-pasting CPU's because it's conductive, should a small amount get on the MB, may be the end of it. :P

Yet perfect for delidding Ivy Bridge/Haswell CPU's, Intel should never at these prices, had done this to save at the most, $5 per CPU & at over $300 each (in trays of 1,000 the cost is less), didn't need to resort to these low blow & cheapskate tactics. Had I known this before purchase, would had purchased AMD instead (am a 'fanboy' of what works when needed), could had purchased over half the components for the PC with the $327 spent. Yet I'll find a way to delid & redo Intel's proper work for them. If that CPU as is, were running 24/7 as a folding@home client @ 100% CPU usage, may not make it past the 3 year warranty (folding proteins along doesn't void anything & a great way to 'break in' a new build) even w/out overclocking, which I don't do with CPU's. If not powerful enough, will buy another. Makes me wonder if they also did this with their 6 & 8 core units also, these often are installed in small office servers, and more importantly, makes me wonder if Intel deliberately done this so the CPU's won't last 10+ years. Thermal paste won't hold up that long, even if the best is used. 

At any rate, glad to have met you & look forward to seeing you on the Forum. :)

By chance, if you want to explore something new, drop in over at our Linux Community sometime, we promise you, won't become bored, and can learn a lot to protect yourself. :thumbup2:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users