Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update fails / SVCHOST process runs high CPU cycles

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kvon

kvon

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:19 AM

Hello,

I've got an ongoing problem with Windows Update which I've seen on THREE different machines now, all Windows 7 Home Premium or 7 Pro, 64 bit.

Symptoms are:
1 - Windows Update fails.  It hangs - showing either "0%" progress on downloading the updates, or showing "checking for updates".
2 - At the same time, the SVCHOST process runs the CPU cycles way too high.  One machine is a tired old Core 2 Duo - and on that one the SVCHOST runs a steady 50% while the WU is flailing about.  On the other 2 machines - both quad cores - it's 25%.

Things that I have tried with no result:

Microsoft "fixit" tool - which among other things, deletes the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Firewall conflict?  All 3 machines run ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite.  I tried not just shutting down, but uninstalling that on one machine, and it made no difference.

Malware?  Several months ago I got a bizarre malware attack that infected my wireless router.  Back then, the fix was to hard-reset the router to factory defaults.  When I saw this issue was causing identical symptoms on multiple machines (all on the same wireless network) I thought it was the same kinda thing.  So I rebooted the router, and coincidentally (?) ONE of the 3 machines WU started working after that.  But still no joy on the other 2.

I'm completely bamboozled - any help appreciated!

Thank you,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

Hi,

Try this:

- Disable Automatic Updates:
Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change settings > "Never check for updates"

- Stop the Windows Update Service if its running press Windows7_key_R2.pngand type services.msc, locate Windows Update on the list of services, right click on it and click Stop if the status is running.

- Install the following Updates
KB3145739 https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=18c67970-0068-4faf-b2c8-8391a7ccb289
KB3078601 https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=24aa4f1e-b7aa-44fd-8c60-c7fab849fd46
KB3087039 https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8a415838-4165-4b81-b541-39cac1cca0a0
KB3109094 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50276
KB3138612 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7d72781f-e4ae-41c6-bbba-9b845db33b2a

- Restart the computer

Notes:
- If any of the updates says it's already installed simply Cancel and move on to the next Update;
- After installing any of the updates Windows will ask for a restart select Restart latter until the last one;

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 kvon

kvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:53 AM

Hmmm.  No change, really.  When I first restarted it was the "TrustedInstaller" service that was running all the CPU time (still 50%), but after a few minutes it transitioned back to svchost.

#4 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

Try running "TreeSize Free" as an Administrator. Then press Scan and select OS (C:) and screenshot your results. If you are unaware on how to screenshot, please install "Gyazo". Once the setup is complete, press CTRL+SHIFT+C and select the area of where you want to screenshot. Gyazo will automatically upload a screenshot of that area to the web. You can do the same thing with GIFs, and even make your images animated, just do CTRL+SHIFT+G and select the area. But, if you want to do an animated image, you only have 7 seconds. After that, anything you do will not be recorded.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:41 AM

Hmmm.  No change, really.  When I first restarted it was the "TrustedInstaller" service that was running all the CPU time (still 50%), but after a few minutes it transitioned back to svchost.

Close all extra programs you may have running including disabling the Antivirus protection and let the system search for updates without using the computer for 1 hour.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

Disabling antivirus will HELP him get rid of irrelevant processes that are slowing the machine?

#7 kvon

kvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:05 PM

Actually, it looks like I got it solved - originally posted this malware forums

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614137/infected-svchost-windows-update-misbehaving/

Got a response from gauchotche to install KB3153199 - Now have 2 of the 3 machines with this update installed, and WU seems to be normal.  Mostly.  On the old laptop, it still takes a full 4 minutes for WU to search for updates and return the result.  But on the other machine it takes about 20 sec.  I guess that's good enough.

On the 3rd machine I've got bigger troubles with a severely corrupted OS install, so if/when I can get that working I'll post back with whether this fixes the 3rd machine too.

Thanks everyone.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

Disabling antivirus will HELP him get rid of irrelevant processes that are slowing the machine?

Not sure about this question and if its for me.

During the search for Windows Update lots of registry keys and files are checked to confirm if a particular update is needed etc. this process will take longer if the AV real time protection is also checking everything.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users