Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's this PCI size?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:33 PM

I have a Gigabyte Z87M-D3H. It looks like this:

Gigateby_Z87_M_D3_H_Motherboard.png

There's a PCI slot on the far left of my motherboard that's empty. This one:

Motherboard_with_Bottom_PCI_Slot.png

I'm wanting to fill it up with an expansion that will give me four extra USB ports.

But, I need to know what specific PCI model to limit my searches to.

What PCI model is that?

Edited by stebbinsd, 20 May 2016 - 10:34 PM.

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

PCIE x4

Motherboard_with_Bottom_PCI_Slot_zpslvbv

#3 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:11 PM

Hi please check: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4486#sp

It states in "Expansion Slots", bullet point "2.":

"1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
(The PCIEX4 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)"

So, what you have is a 16-lane PCI slot, that has been somehow disabled so that it's only running 4 lanes, and that conforms to the PCIE 2.0 standard. So, if you want to add an expansion card, make sure it's not a PCIE 3.0 card and make sure it doesn't require more than 4 lanes?

I ordered a USB 3.0 header for my computer, it was a PCI card. I think it only uses 1 PCI lane. I'm guessing basic cards that need no direct PSU power, would require less than 4 lanes. Totally unsure of what would require 4 lanes, perhaps a very basic GPU card? I think it's one of those things that when you need to know it, you'll find out.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:19 AM

So, what you have is a 16-lane PCI slot, that has been somehow disabled so that it's only running 4 lanes

On a Z87 board, that is determined by a design decision whether the board prioritizes storage or performance (storage in this model). Some of the Z87's 18 I/O ports can be reallocated between USB3, SATA 6G & PCIe 2.0. This board maxes the USB3 and SATA 6G to six each, leaving only 6 lanes available so the PCIe 2.0 slot can only be 4 lane. If less USB3 or SATA 6G ports were provided, the PCIe slot could be x8.

Edited by Platypus, 21 May 2016 - 12:20 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:40 AM

So, if you want to add an expansion card, make sure it's not a PCIE 3.0 card and make sure it doesn't require more than 4 lanes?

Ok, what should I look for in my searches? instead of telling me what NOT to look for ... why don't you tell me what I SHOULD look for?

Or better yet, do you think you could help me find a decently-priced (as in ... less than twenty bucks ... thirty at the most) PCI card that gives me at least four extra USB ports?

My current build:

#6 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:42 AM

Would this one work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-4-port-Super-Speed-5Gbps-use-x4-PCI-e-Slot-PCI-Express-Card-with-Power-/381566474971?hash=item58d7225adb:g:Hs0AAOSwd0BV3hSi

Or better yet, might you help me find a USB expansion that connects via SATA cable ... like a disc drive? So I can have the convenience of having these ports on the front of my PC?

Like this one ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-25-Internal-e-SATA-Dual-USB-3-0-2-0-Card-Reader-Front-Panel-Media-Dashboard-/181742760491?hash=item2a50b6722b:g:FXIAAOSwBahVUVTC

Would this fit on my current motherboard?

Edited by stebbinsd, 21 May 2016 - 01:45 AM.

My current build:

#7 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:21 AM

Sorry i missed the last part of your OP where you explained your plans. I'll answer because it seems straightforward, but i hope somebody chips in if they have a better idea.

The first item you mentioned:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-4-port-Super-Speed-5Gbps-use-x4-PCI-e-Slot-PCI-Express-Card-with-Power-/381566474971?hash=item58d7225adb:g:Hs0AAOSwd0BV3hSi

Title: USB 3.0 4-port Super-Speed 5Gbps use x4 PCI-e Slot, PCI Express Card with Power

Is the one you want, because its specs match those of your mobo i.e.:

- Your mobo clearly supports USB 3.0 judging by its existing ports

- You have a spare 4-lane ("x4") PCIe slot

- Your PCIe slot supports PCIe 2.0, in fact it is PCIe 2.0 (i'm guessing 3.0 would also support 2.0)

What l don't get is, why they put "with Power" at the end of the title, coupled with the text in the advert body: "Supports battery charging specification revision 1.2". I'd guess what is meant is, you can plug a mobile phone or tablet PC into the USB ports and recharge it that way (ofc you'd need the right external lead, like, some sort of male mini USB to male standard USB lead).

Also, what l don't get is: could you get this device cheaper? You can pick this type of thing up from China for as little as $15 in P&P. However, the advert for this card says: "Uses Etron EJ198H chipset" - perhaps that is superior to the cheaper cards? Perhaps, among other drawbacks, the cheaper cards cannot charge connected mobile devices? Perhaps the Etron chipset lasts longer, and actually delivers the promised speeds, whereas the cheaper cards do not?

As for the second item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-25-Internal-e-SATA-Dual-USB-3-0-2-0-Card-Reader-Front-Panel-Media-Dashboard-/181742760491?hash=item2a50b6722b:g:FXIAAOSwBahVUVTC

Title: 5.25" Internal e-SATA Dual USB 3.0 2.0 Card Reader Front Panel Media Dashboard

With this, you get 6 x USB 2.0 ports, and 2 x USB 3.0 ports plus the ability to read SD cards and compact flash cards. But, you ought to check the connectors shown on the advert. This device can comfortably fit into your existing drive bay (do you have a spare drive bay on your PC case?) (remember to reverse it in from the outside) (took me ages to figure this basic stuff out lol). Thing is, you need to have room on your mobo for the connectors. For example, it looks to me like you only have the one USB 3.0 header (check photo, bottom centre, it says "USB 3.0" with about 20 small pins). Therefore i think you'd end up needing a PCIe card with a USB 3.0 header just for this device, because I'm guessing you'll be using the existing USB 3.0 header for your optical drive.

It's your choice, but this latter option could work out cheaper, and give you more ports, albeit fewer USB 3.0 ports than your first option.

Anyone else is welcome to chip in :S

#8 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:20 AM

Coming to think of it, the "with Power" phrase in the title of the first item you listed, could mean that it has a power socket so you can connect it to the PSU, for example if you connect an item which drains a lot of power (e.g. the aforementioned mobile phone that needs charging up). That said, check the review out for this item - some cheapo cards can't even handle a keyboard and mouse on their own:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Port-USB-3-0-HUB-to-PCI-Express-PCI-E-Card-Adapter-Converter-5-Inter-2-Outer-/281729599161?hash=item41986486b9:g:0PMAAOSwyQtVh9~T#rwid

Quoting the review: "It worked with Windows 10 - but you need to connect the power cable to the port on-board so that it provides enough power, otherwise it won't recognize anything even a mouse or keyboard (low power devices).

On Windows 7, I have tried all drivers in the CD and still not working. Wasted time and effort on this unknown brand."

^^^ It seems the cheap card shown on that advert couldn't even handle a mouse and keyboard without requiring additional juice from the PSU.

I saw a load of cheap cards via the following eBay search: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=pcie+x4+card&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X5+usb+pcie+card.TRS0&_nkw=5+usb+pcie+card&_sacat=0

Caveat emptor (as per the above user review): the cheap ones may not be very good.

As for the PCIe card that l ordered, l haven't opened it up yet, because l'm waiting for some RMA-ed components to return back to me :D

At least your first item actually brags about the chipset it uses, I wonder if anyone else knows about the Etron EJ198H chipset?

#9 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:28 AM

Always check the OS compatibility too (advert should mention it, otherwise ask the seller).

Sadly, seems none of the cards reviewed on this thread are Linux compatible, some cards out there don't even seem to be Mac compatible.

#10 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:50 AM

Therefore i think you'd end up needing a PCIe card with a USB 3.0 header just for this device, because I'm guessing you'll be using the existing USB 3.0 header for your optical drive.

The first item you mentioned:

What's a USB 3.0 Header? My disc drive runs on a sata port.

My current build:

#11 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:20 AM

Hmm my mistake, the mobo's 20-pin (2 rows of 10 pins) USB 3.0 header is used by a cable coming from the front panel features (power on, reset, 2 x USB 3.0 ports) on my case. Still, it doesn't matter.

Point is, if you're not using that USB 3.0 header then you already have a USB header available for the second item you listed:

And that item is way cheaper. But you have to make sure you have space for the other leads, pictured in the above advert. Check your mobo manual to locate their sockets and see if they're already taken, or due to be taken by higher priority devices.

The USB 3.0 header is a socket or port or whatever, having 2 rows of 10 pins (at least on my X99 mobo, it does). There are alternate uses for it, instead of just using up the entire socket with one lead, you can plug smaller leads into a hub, and plug the hub (having as many holes as the header has pins) into the header. See the information given in your mobo manual. You really need to have a manual for this motherboard.

As mentioned, it is at the bottom (of your mobo, in the photo of your OP), toward the centre, just right of the centre.

Caveat emptor, the second item you listed is unbranded, and branded items aren't necessarily the same product with a name printed on it, very often, unbranded items are a poor imitation of branded products. At least with the first item you listed, the chipset has a brand - the "Etron EJ198H chipset" - which you ought to investigate.

I hope you get it sorted. One thing i realised about PC building is: plan your RMA along with the purchase, unless you feel confident. Therefore, if you buy from overseas, think how you will be able to return an item that isn't faulty but which you just bought in error? All the best :))))))))

Edited by MajesticFailure, 21 May 2016 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users