Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant access numerous sites on windows 10 laptop; tablet working fine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joeclam

Joeclam

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

I have a laptop (windows 10) that suddenly stopped accessing a number of different random websites, including this one... saying "server DNS address could not be found". Other websites, such as Facebook and yahoo, it still accesses. It does this on the chrome browser and the IE browser. The tablet I'm typing on right now works fine however, and accesses everything without problem. This morning both were working properly; this is a sudden development.

Edited by Joeclam, 20 May 2016 - 08:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

By the sounds of it your internet service providers main DNS servers are having issues or, network issues. It could be due to your ISP doing network maintenance on their part as well. What can you do? Well instead of using the ISP's DNS you can use a public Google DNS. Inside your router change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 However, I don't recommend that you permanently change them from your ISP.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

First try technonymous' very good stuff! If it appears to not yet work, if you're using a 3rd party firewall, then it's possible that it is set a little too assertively.  What firewall are you using?  This happened to me -- not the DNS error per se -- for awhile a great number of web sites would not appear.  Again, do what technonymous advises first.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Joeclam

Joeclam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:24 PM

I should add some further detail I guess... The tablet is part of my Verizon wireless service, connected to the internet the same as my smartphone, a 4g wireless connection. I have no router; the laptop is connected via the tablet when the tablet's mobile hotspot is toggled to "on". Something happened since this morning to cause this. The tablet continues working fine everywhere, such as here, yet two feet away my laptop cannot reach bleepingcomputer.com. How do I loosen its firewall security settings in order to try that?

Edited by Joeclam, 20 May 2016 - 09:25 PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

What firewall is the laptop using?  If it is using Windows' built in firewall, then -- there is no settings to adjust, it's not the problem.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 Joeclam

Joeclam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:53 PM

Control panel only shows windows firewall, so I'm assuming that's it. There are options to turn it on or off, current state shows on, with connection to "active public networks" via the tablet.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

Control panel only shows windows firewall, so I'm assuming that's it. There are options to turn it on or off, current state shows on, with connection to "active public networks" via the tablet.

Since Windows Firewall is very likely not the problem, go ahead and do technonymous' good stuff!

#8 Joeclam

Joeclam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:33 PM

I'm not sure how to do that -- I don't know how to change dns settings. I may call Verizon tech support for advice

#9 Joeclam

Joeclam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

Well, looks like i've got success with Verizon tech support -- they "refreshed" my profile on the tablet service and now the laptop is working.  Basically a reboot, but on their end.  Hopefully it won't need to happen too often, but the rep said these issues sometimes arise in "VCAs" -- variable Coverage Areas -- which i definitely am in. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users