Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports not working

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Throwawaybecausedumb

Throwawaybecausedumb

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:49 PM

Ok, so I was plugging in my headphones into the headphone jack and accidentally put it in the USB port. I use a USB mouse and it stopped working after that. I tried three different USB mice(Plural of mouse?) as well as a cooling fan. None of which worked in any of the three USB ports I have. 

I went to the Device Manager and updated the driver software on everything under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and rebooted my computer.

My machine is a HP Pavilion 17 Notebook laptop. 

Touchpad still works. 

Apologies for incorrect wording or if I posted this in the wrong sub. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Throwawaybecausedumb

Throwawaybecausedumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

Nobody is able to help? I've done some googling, but to no avail. 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,459 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:35 PM

Go back into Device manager and uninstall all the USB drivers, then re-boot. They will re-install automatically. And while you are in Device manager have a look and see if there are any other devices with either a yellow '!' or a red 'x' against them.

If you did manage to insert a microphone jack into a USB socket - and I don't see how because I can't get a 3.5mm jack plug to go in - it is possible you have done electrical damage by short circuiting something in which case it is not impossible you may need a new mobo. If uninstalling the drivers doesn't work, first of all consult the manual. If you don't have a copy I believe this is the link to it from HP -

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04069163

But failing that I think you will need professional assistance.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Throwawaybecausedumb

Throwawaybecausedumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

Go back into Device manager and uninstall all the USB drivers, then re-boot. They will re-install automatically. 

I was going to mention I did that as well, but I don't know how to edit my post. I will probably end up taking my computer to a repair shop because I think I must have done electrical damage to the ports. I just wasn't looking when I was inserting my headphone jack and forced it into the usb port. I'm not sure how far it went in, but it certainly did. 

Thanks for your reply. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

Placing the barrel of the headphone jack in the USB port may have shorted it.

There are two sets of USB ports on the sides of this computer.  On the left are the USB 3.0 ports, on the right are the USB 2.0 ports.  Is one of these pairs still working?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Throwawaybecausedumb

Throwawaybecausedumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

Placing the barrel of the headphone jack in the USB port may have shorted it.

There are two sets of USB ports on the sides of this computer.  On the left are the USB 3.0 ports, on the right are the USB 2.0 ports.  Is one of these pairs still working?

None of them work

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,075 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

You may have to replace the motherboard to correct this.

Do you have a USB device that light up when it is inserted in a USB port, like a flash drive?  If you do, see if it lights up.  If it lights up there is power to the port, if it doesn't... not good.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Throwawaybecausedumb

Throwawaybecausedumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

You may have to replace the motherboard to correct this.

Do you have a USB device that light up when it is inserted in a USB port, like a flash drive?  If you do, see if it lights up.  If it lights up there is power to the port, if it doesn't... not good.

Yeah, I've tried that as well, and it doesn't work. If it is indeed shorted out and I need to replace the motherboard, what is my best course of action? Will other parts of my laptop become affected by it?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,075 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:26 PM

I found this thread and some people were able to revive the USB ports by powercycling he computer. See YayYay's post. I never held a power button down for 4 minutes on a powercycle though. Worth a shot anyway.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2436764/accidentaly-force-touched-laptop-usb-port-headphones-pin-laptop-turn.html

#11 Throwawaybecausedumb

Throwawaybecausedumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

I found this thread and some people were able to revive the USB ports by powercycling he computer. See YayYay's post. I never held a power button down for 4 minutes on a powercycle though. Worth a shot anyway.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2436764/accidentaly-force-touched-laptop-usb-port-headphones-pin-laptop-turn.html

Yeah, I came across that too before posting my dilemma here. I power cycled and held the power button down for 4 -5 minutes but it didn't help. Thanks for your reply. 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,075 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

I appreciate you sending me the Speccy via a PM, but you need to post this in your topic.  Any information regarding this topic should be posted in it so everyone can read it.

The Speccy shows the generic model of this computer's motherboard, but I can't find the specific motherboard with out more information.  This is a HP Pavilion 17 series motherboard, but I need the specific series information.  For instance HP Paviliion 17-F002NA.

You can watch a video of a 17 series computer's motherboard being removed here.  Removing the motherboard from this computer is not something I would suggest to a novice.  There are over a half dozen ribbon cables which will need to be disconnected.  The connectors for these are extremely fragile.  If you break one you will need to replace the motherboard as these connectors are not sold separately.  

I would suggest taking this computer to a repair shop with a good reputation and have them diagnose the problem and tell you what it would cost to have it repaired.

One thing I did notice in the Speccy was the temperature of the CPU.  The motherboard was at 42c, the graphics was at 41c, the CPU was at 90c.

To be sure this isn't a fluke of Speccy please download and run Open Hardware Monitor and post the temperatures in your topic.

#13 Throwawaybecausedumb

Throwawaybecausedumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

Ok,  here is the Speccy log, http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xtcLalybmBJh8ZcCK8AiKyl
And here is the Open Hardware Monitor specs Attached File  pcspecs.png   101.91KB   0 downloads

Edited by Throwawaybecausedumb, 24 May 2016 - 01:26 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,075 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

Those temperatures look more realistic.  The CPU temperature in the Speccy was just too high to not have the motherboard and GPU reading higher as well.

Time to take the computer to a reputable independent computer repair shop and have them see what has happened.  Do not take it to Best Buy or stores of that nature.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,075 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:22 PM

Edit:  Wrong topic.

Edited by dc3, 24 May 2016 - 02:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users