Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chromebook Pixel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

Is the Chromebook Pixel worth it? It has an i7 processor, has 64 GB SSD, has a charger that charges the Chromebook up to 2 hours in 15 minutes, has a to-die-for display, etc. Except it costs $1,300 - Roughly the same as a Macbook Pro. To be honest with you, I'd rather have a Chromebook Pixel, but please give me recommendations.

The fact that it has 64 GB of SSD is amazing. It means that the device will be durable and almost never break. Having any laptop with an HDD is a threat. Desktops are convenient because you can get them with cheap HDD - Laptops also have cheap HDD except laptops break a lot faster. Durable laptops need SSD, and that's what the Pixel has.

Should I get it? All I have to do is buy the product, open terminal, and paste "sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t xfce" into the terminal to get Xubuntu running. Adding the "xfce" in the end will install the XFCE environment, equivalent to installing Xubuntu. You can also do KDE and get Kubuntu, or type in Unity and get plain, clean, Ubuntu.

Any suggestions? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:31 PM

You should have left a link to the exact computer you are looking at.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 DanieI

DanieI
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

You should have left a link to the exact computer you are looking at.

Here. https://store.google.com/product/chromebook_pixel_2015?sku=chromebook_pixel_2015_16gb&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sem&utm_medium=desktop&utm_content=plas&utm_campaign=pixelCB&gl=us&gclid=CP_-kpim7swCFcUmhgodW5IB8w

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,908 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

Impressive but I would go with something else personally.  I will have to read up more on it later tonight.  I would buy a Windows pc, buy a new SSD to go in it and dual boot with Linux. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 DanieI

DanieI
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

Impressive but I would go with something else personally.  I will have to read up more on it later tonight.  I would buy a Windows pc, buy a new SSD to go in it and dual boot with Linux. 

I don't know. This comes with 64 GB SSD and you can dual boot linux on it for free. It's extremely lightweight as well and has a backlit keyboard. Don't forget it's i7 as well..

Edited by DanieI, 22 May 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,908 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

"12.85" display" Hahaha, that's not a computer that's a toy lol, just kidding.

Nice graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Integrated)

Yes, super light but it's only 12.85"  I really like the power cord on the left, that's nice for a right hand-er using a mouse. 

USB-C! Pretty cool

This might be the future but for how I would stick with mainstream, that's just me.  You might be able to learn how to use and work on one of these and make some money doing so as they become more widely used.

All in all it's a good value if you don't mind being tied to all google stuff, I'll need to learn more about this soon.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,908 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

Just for fun, take a peek at this little beauty.  It might not be good for linux Dual Booting either but it isssssss eye candy and quite powerful.  Take a look at that 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/spectre-355003--1#!&Tab=vao

Youtube vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8O0gWHiIKU

Edited by pcpunk, 23 May 2016 - 07:40 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users