Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All of the space on my boot up drive is disappearing

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 MochaS

MochaS

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

Hello:

New here. For a few months, the free hard drive space on my 1 year old, 16GB Ram, SSD laptop has been gradually decreasing. Used to be 15GB of free free disk space out of 100 GB(came partitioned into C and D). I "solved" the situation in the past by using CCleaner, and moving some downloaded video files to another drive.  This week it has gotten worse. The free space decreased to under 10GB, this morning it decreased to under 5GB, and a few hours ago, it decreased to 0. I moved more files off the drive, deleted some programs, but each time, after I recover a few hundred MB to 1 GB of free space, it decreases back to Zero!

Deleting files and removing programs wont help, because the free space keeps disappearing, and I've run out of large files to delete. My download directory has only maybe 200mb of files, so deleting it would be a waste of time. As I type this, I periodically check my free space and it has gone from 300mb to 24mb to now 604k lol.

I searched Google for solutions. I don't have a system restore activated so no system restore files to delete. Deleting the Hibernation File, changing page.sys size, etc....will free up disk space, but may sacrifice performance and whatever is causing the black hole of free disk space hasn't been resolved.I was suspecting my anti-virus software, Bitdefender Agent, but when I disabled all the Bitdefender programs in startup, the disk space was still gone.

Now I'm thinking it is a new virus that malwarebytes or BD can't yet detect. I did change from Norton to BD in March, when iirc, that is when the free disk problem started happening. A new version of Itunes was updated 3 days ago, 2 weeks ago I installed qBittorent onto another drive. 

Thank you for reading this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

Get a new system. To be honest, this can be utterly difficult to deal with, and I know that from person experiences... I wasted my money on getting a brand new 128 GB SSD to plug into my desktop, and it still got shrunk to 2 MB SSD and I didn't install anything. To be honest, it's some sort of malware I guess that is deleting your storage. No matter what you do, replace any hard drive or solid state drive you'd like, you're screwed (or at least I was when it happened to me). Maybe install Ubuntu 14.04 and choose "Erase hard disk ..." so that your HDD will be cleaned and Windows will be replaced with Ubuntu. It's a cleaner OS. All I can recommend is erasing Windows, getting Ubuntu, and replacing your HDD. Then if you have a clean OS and clean HDD, you're good. It's important to get the clean OS first, and erase the old one, before getting a new clean HDD. Getting the new clean HDD first and plugging it in to test might infect it right away and it will shrink your HDD space when you get Ubuntu - Or you can dual boot, keep your Windows, and just not use it. You can download a tool that can clean your entire HDD except for your OS, which seems ideal in your situation. Then you can download CCleaner straight away, try to clean any extra cache, cookies, etc. that might cause harm to your PC, and, well, I don't know furthermore what to tell you. I think that it's time for a new computer, bud.

#3 MochaS

MochaS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

Changing the virtual memory setting hopefully solved this problem.Windows automatically allocated 11501mb, so I changed the max to 5625 with a starting point of 800mb.. Now I have 10.1GB of free disk space, allocating 800mb, but it started off at 10.3GB, so I am not entirely sure if this is the source.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:07 PM

There are several temp directories that belong to Windows Prime that can get quite full!  Windows Recent, Windows Prefetch, Windows temp, ProgramData temp, just to name a few but not all temp directories.

Edited by RolandJS, 21 May 2016 - 02:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

Please download Treesize and install it.

When Treesize opens click on Scan.  A menu will open with the option Local Disk (C:), select this option.

Treesize%203_zpsey3xvhve.jpg

The scan will run now.  This may take a while, be patient and allow it to finish.

When the scan is completed you will see an image similar to the one below.  Take a Screenshot of this and post it in your topic as an attachment.

Treesize%203_zpswkhopaea.png

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Edited by dc3, 21 May 2016 - 11:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 MochaS

MochaS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

Here is a capture with 10GB free,from 9.29Gb, after I deleted the restore point. I had restore points turned  on for the 1st time, at the lowest setting of 1 percent, just in case I screwed something up after deleting programs and files The System Volume Information folder went from 533m to 84.9GB. 

Attached Files

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

If it starts growing again this is not the solution.  Here's hoping it is though.  This type of problem can be very difficult to pin down and correct.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

Hi,

You need to expand those bigger folders so we can check where the space is used.

Usually space used inside the Users folder can be "adjusted" by the user.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 MochaS

MochaS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

If it starts growing again this is not the solution.  Here's hoping it is though.  This type of problem can be very difficult to pin down and correct.

Thank you to you and others for taking the time to respond.  What are the usual culprits? I also attached screenshots of some expanded folders. I pretty much only watched NetFlix on my laptop all day, and the the ProgramData/Nvidia Corporation folder expanded from 893.8mb to  894.9mb. Very minor. I'm wondering if every time I update Nvidia drivers, and use CCleaner to erase the installation files, if some unnecessary files still remain. But ever since I set a max to the pagefile.sys file, I haven't seen the bizarre plummet to Zero free disk space. Before I did that, that file would increase a little bit even though I have 16GB of ram and I was only doing Google searches. 

Attached Files

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:17 AM

You need to check what is inside those bigger folders local\Google, \local\spotify, \roaming\apple computer

From a Command Prompt running as Administrator type this:

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase

Wait for the command to complete then restart the computer. The free space will increase but the change isn't immediate you will see some disk activity until Windows finish the task after the restart.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:05 AM

There are several temp directories that belong to Windows Prime that can get quite full! ...

You can set ccleaner to on-demand clean [delete the contents of] Recent, Prefetch, ProgramData and Windows temp directories.  I don't recommend auto-clean at every "coldboot/startup" or "restart" -- tried that, intefered with normal Windows startup stuff.

Edited by RolandJS, 22 May 2016 - 07:06 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

Use CCleaner and remove everything that CCleaner offers to remove except for Wipe Free Space.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

@Daniel

CCleaner is a good tool.  It has a lot of useful applications.  But to suggest to use "everything" isn't the best way to use this tool.  

For example, CCleaner can:

Remove temp files

Uninstall programs
Find what programs are taking up the most space
Find duplicate files

And the list goes on, but I believe you get the idea.  You need to be specific in your suggestions.

But probably the most important suggestion we make here at Bleeping Computer is not to use Registry Cleaners.  CCleaner has a registry cleaner, and you should point this out and suggest that it not be used.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

#14 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:47 PM

@Daniel

CCleaner is a good tool.  It has a lot of useful applications.  But to suggest to use "everything" isn't the best way to use this tool.  

For example, CCleaner can:

Remove temp files

Uninstall programs
Find what programs are taking up the most space
Find duplicate files

And the list goes on, but I believe you get the idea.  You need to be specific in your suggestions.

But probably the most important suggestion we make here at Bleeping Computer is not to use Registry Cleaners.  CCleaner has a registry cleaner, and you should point this out and suggest that it not be used.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Oh. I didn't know that! :) Thank you for pointing that out. Now that I looked at it, under Applications and under Windows there is an option that says RegEdit - I'm going to continue using it anyway, because my registry is actually pretty irritating, considering there's a few keys I just can't seem to get rid of, and malicious ones, in fact.

#15 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:08 PM

Oh. I didn't know that! :) Thank you for pointing that out. Now that I looked at it, under Applications and under Windows there is an option that says RegEdit - I'm going to continue using it anyway, because my registry is actually pretty irritating, considering there's a few keys I just can't seem to get rid of, and malicious ones, in fact.

There is nothing to use in the Option that says RegEdit , that is a checkbox for the Cleaner function to actually remove any entered text within cmd /regedit/ what ever you entered.

Any reg key can be deleted , but not wise unless you have a backup , or know what you are doing in the first instance , what makes you think there are malicious ones ? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users