Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random errors in files recovered from corrupted hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DoctorZero

DoctorZero

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:53 PM

I had a problem where a fresh install of Windows 10 trashed the file system on my external hard drive (NTFS).  I used Recuva, and TestDisk, and a couple other tools to recover the files.  The problem I'm seeing is that when I recover a file, there is about a 20% chance that there will be a random corruption in it.  For instance, a JPG file may turn purple half-way through the image (which seems to indicate to me that only one or a few bytes were corrupted).  Videos have garbage show up every 10 seconds or so.

What is strange is that if I recover the file again, it may be fine.  Or it may have an error in another part of the file.  I had another hard drive in this same enclosure before and never had a problem, so I don't think it's a problem with the enclosure, although I wasn't using it on Win 10.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?  I thought about trying another enclosure but Windows already corrupted the file system (see link above) so I'm afraid swapping enclosures may risk additional damage.  Has anyone seen this before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DoctorZero

DoctorZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:48 PM

So I eventually tried removing the hard drive from the SATA controller, blowing in it like a Nintendo cartridge (don't know if that had anything to do with it) and putting it back together.  This seems to have fixed it, as I was able to recover all my files without any errors!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users