Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting an error while trying to backups and file transfers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

A few days ago i tried to copy files to my USB and it worked like it should do. But the next day i tried to do it, my computer decided to freeze and pause my music every 2 seconds and i believe explorer.exe is resetting itself because it slows down that massively. And for a test i decided to do a backup with my seagate external hard drive, which had the same result. Does anyone know what this issue is? I've never seen it before and i'm concerned because i backup my computer quite a lot and obviously i can't do it now lol. I'll try and get some screenshots of the error codes that appear. I also use Acronis True Image 2016 for backups and this has never happened before. And i fixed all the 'Errors' on the USB and external device in question and that didn't do anything of note either. Thank You 

Specs: Windows 10 64 bit with 12GB of ram and a 2TB HD .

Edited by Miguel_92, 20 May 2016 - 05:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:39 PM

Maybe disabling anti-virus/malware scanner before back-ups/transfers will help.

Note the installed programs and configuration and use one of them back-up to restore the system to a stable point. Note what is different and stay away from the offending program/configuration.

Could it be that the system drive is damaged or failing?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:46 PM

If you're using something like Macrium Reflect along with using Acronis True Image, did you earlier make the usb or dvd boot from that nonAcronis program?  If so, report what happens when that usb or dvd is booted, and a backup is attempted.  I'm hoping Windows Prime's explorer operations can be bypassed for now via this usb or dvd boot.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:24 AM

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

#5 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will try disabling my anti virus first to see if that helps at all. Because i'm using AVG internet security and it's tampered with a few of my programs before, so it might be doing it again lol. And since i bought my external HD, i've only ever used Acronis True image and the first version i got was 2015 and now i'm using the 2016 version as i mentioned. But this has never happened to me on my laptop or PC.

#6 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

I tried turning off my anti virus and it isn't that lol. I tried transferring a small file over, then it basically goes insane and things stop responding instantly after that. I'll publish my speccy results when i can :D.

#7 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

Attached File  usb.jpg   20.45KB   0 downloads In the image i've added to this post, it shows what occurs when it is half way through the process of transferring the files from my PC to USB. Sadly, i cannot take more screenshots because as i said, everything fails to respond and the screen goes black. The transfer will basically die then the PC just becomes unresponsive, even when no other programs are running at the time.

Edited by Miguel_92, 23 May 2016 - 01:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users