Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fine Tunning Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:19 PM

Hi there,

I have some more questions about things that I need to tweak on Win 7 now that I got my new computer:

1. On Windows Explorer, there's no up arrow at the top of the window, only a left arrow
  2. When I delete a file, it asks me if I am sure if I want to delete it. I don't want that popup, how do I delete it?
  3. When I paste a video from one Expl window to another, sometimes when I find the folder & go Ctrl V, it doesn't start, I have to click into the window first. Never had to do that before on Win 8
  4. When I open an Explorer Window, instead of My Computer opening, the Library opens. How do I get my drives to show up?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

1. "When I delete a file, it asks me if I am sure if I want to delete it. I don't want that popup, how do I delete it?"
  2. Right-click desktop's Recycle Bin, Properties.  Uncheck "display the delete confirmation diaglog" - save and exit Properties.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 May 2016 - 03:44 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

"When I open an Explorer Window, instead of My Computer opening, the Library opens. How do I get my drives to show up?"

Left-click explorer's icon, along the top menu, find and left-click Tools.  Find and left-click Folder Options.  Navigation Pane has two things that can be checkmarked, Show All Folders and Automatically Expand To Current Folder. 

Edited by RolandJS, 20 May 2016 - 03:52 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

"On Windows Explorer, there's no up arrow at the top of the window, only a left arrow."

The only thing I can remember Explorer, after doing some "tree-climbing," giving is a row of labels across the top with a delta pointing down.  Depending upon which delta is left-clicked, a dropdown menu of choices where explorer can take you appears.  I don't remember an Up arrow -- ?unless you have Classic Shell [Explorer?].

-- And depending upon your tree-climbing, the right arrow will appear from time to time.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 May 2016 - 03:52 PM.

#5 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

Thanks a ton Roland.

Ahh, must be classic shell then as I have that on my first desktop, didn't DL it onto the new one. Doing that now.

The only thing I couldn't find or didn't work is "Left-click explorer's icon, along the top menu, find and left-click Tools.  Find and left-click Folder Options.  Navigation Pane has two things that can be checkmarked, Show All Folders and Automatically Expand To Current Folder. "

I checked off those 2 options, but it still doesn't show me all my drives (my computer) when I open a new Explr. window.

#6 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:37 PM

Try opening My Computer library through the start menu, it'll show the drives on there. there's now two ways of doing it, One is labled "PCUser/OwnerName" and "My Computer" Clicking on the Owner Name takes you to a list of possible libraries, {Documents, pictures, mucis, movies, etc} whereas clicking My Computer will take you directly to your drives {C, D, E, DVD/BR/CDR/CDRW/etc}

It also depends completely on the explorer window you open, Are you directly trying to access your drives list to see what you got ? {how much space for example, or what you have in the DVDRW/CDRW drive ?}

Edited by Dragongirl, 20 May 2016 - 04:38 PM.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#7 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

Ok, I just tried it on my older desktop & you are right, so maybe it's a feature in Win 8. Unfortunately bloody Win 10 overtook my laptop so I can't even check & Win 10 shows you frequent folders which is clearly a new feature.

I see them now on the left pane so I guess I'll just have to get them from there, but yes, I wanted to be able to see all my drives, how much space is taken/left, etc. & then just click to them.

Thanks

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:56 PM

To see the total used space on a drive and the space left all you need to do is click 'Start - computer'.

More importantly, Roland, at #2 said -

1. "When I delete a file, it asks me if I am sure if I want to delete it. I don't want that popup, how do I delete it?"
  2. Right-click desktop's Recycle Bin, Properties.  Uncheck "display the delete confirmation dialog" - save and exit Properties.

While this is absolutely correct can I assure you, from personal experience, that this is extremely dangerous !  I had mine set up this way until I wiped out 400 important photos. I was very lucky and managed to recover all but a couple but I then realised I had removed the only safety net between my stupidity and disaster. Having this pop up gives you the chance to say to yourself 'Is that what i really mean to delete, or is it the next door folder ?'. 

Murphy's Law :-  If something can go wrong, it will !

Chris Cosgrove

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

Chris Cosgrove is absolutely correct about Murphy's Law of Folder/File Deletion.  "If it must not be deleted, it will be accidentally deleted" is RollerStollerLaw for Folder/File deletion.  There is a free 3rd party 2nd defense:  Resplendence's Undeluxe.  When it's monitoring shield is ON, it will create a tiny text file pointer for each and every file that is deleted.  What I do not know:  how are folders monitored, haven't figured that one out yet.  I call it free version, it might be only free for 30 days.  However, I paid the license for 3 computers, and whenever RollerStollerLaw of File Deletion happened, Undeluxe was right there, ready to be searched, ready to recover the file[s].  You have a fork in the road, take it.  Either leave the Recycle Bin's confirmation ON, or, download, install, use [or trial-test] Undeluxe.

#10 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:51 AM

Ok, I don't understand, you can still find the file in the Recycle bin if you delete it by accident, right? Just b/c the popup doesn't ask you if you really want to delete it, that shouldn't matter.

I've never had this problem, only once or twice & I always just restore it from the bin.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

That message is initiated in the User Accounts.  This is the UAC (User Account Control settings).

Open the Control Panel, select User Accounts.  (Search, type in Control panel in the search box.  When Control Panel appears below the Search box click/tap on it.)

Click/tap on Change User Account Control settings.

The will be a slide control that you can click/tap on to move up or down.  Slide the control to the bottom, then click/tap on OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:09 PM

@ ep2002 #10

Ah, I see where we differ. Because I have never liked the re-cycle bin I had - and have - it disabled "Delete files immediately, do not send to re-cycle bin". And I had the warning message turned off as well. Some time and 400 photos later I realised that this was just too hair trigger !

As my old auntie was prone to say 'Experience is better bought than taught !'

Chis Cosgrove

#13 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

Now There IS in fact a way to see how much space is on your current hard drive {or drives as the case may be} Simply put, Just make the shortcut on the desktop, even though its a shortcut, it should also say how much space is left on the drive, ,I just tried it on my machine {Windows 7 Pro 64bit} and the name {Windows {C:}} came up under the shortcut. Since I was only testing this theoiory I did not keep it as a short cut and quickly got rid of it since I was testing if it worked, It does work, to a point, I dont remember if it showed how much space was left.

What you could do is simply paste or have My Computer already on the desktop in which case doubleclicking that will take you straight to your drives list

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users