Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Windows 7 boot problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blufx

Blufx

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

I have an Inspiron 620 that hangs at Windows 7 start just before the four colored orbs can be seen. The real kicker is when I insert the Windows 7 repair disk, or a Windows 7 install disk, they will hang at exactly the same place. I've tried resetting the BIOS, reseating and swapping the memory, and other hard drives.  I even tried a hard drive from another computer running Windows 7 and a Paragon Adaptive Restore disk. The same thing happens. It loads files, the changes to the starting Windows screen and goes no further. Anyone know what could cause this?

Dell Inspiron 620

Intel I5 @ 3GHz

3Gb DDR3 memory

service tag  7CP6MS1

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:35 PM

Try reseating the Ram and before you reinsert the ram blow out the slots and the pins with canned air. Had that problem with a computer here at work and that fixed it.

#3 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

Try reseating the Ram and before you reinsert the ram blow out the slots and the pins with canned air. Had that problem with a computer here at work and that fixed it.

Thanks for the advice, but I've already done that. I even cleaned the contacts with alcohol before inserting them.

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

What happened when you tried a Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot?  Reason for asking:  Trying to rule out or rule in a catastrophic post-to-Windows handoff failure.  If I remember correctly, I had to restore an earlier image of my OS partition to fix.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 May 2016 - 01:46 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:45 PM

What happened when you tried a Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot?

I think I have a Linux live disk. I'll try it and post back.

Thanks

#6 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:00 PM

What happened when you tried a Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot?  Reason for asking:  Trying to rule out or rule in a catastrophic post-to-Windows handoff failure.  If I remember correctly, I had to restore an earlier image of my OS partition to fix.

I had an older Linux Live CD. When I boot from it, it doesn't finish loading. It loads files, then the screen goes black.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

Post operations are not properly handing off [or relinquishing] control to the Operating System -- if memory serves me, that's what our network guru indicated.  If he was correct then and is correct now -- we might have to examine hardware.  Has this been tried:  removing all external devices from all ports [usb, ethernet, vga, hdmi, etc.]?  Are you using ext usb mouse and/or keyboard?  If yes, remove them.   I forgot to earlier ask:  can you get into the BIOS [or is it UEFI]?

Edited by RolandJS, 20 May 2016 - 02:13 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

Has this been tried:  removing all external devices from all ports [usb, ethernet, vga, hdmi, etc.]?  Are you using ext usb mouse and/or keyboard?  If yes, remove them.   I forgot to ask:  can you get into the BIOS [or is it UEFI]?

I have done that with the same results. The machine has no PS2 ports, so USB mouse and keyboard. I can get into the bios, but I don't see any selection for IDE, ATA, etc on the hard drive controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users