Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer unstable every morning

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hdhooker

hdhooker

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

My computer is less than 6 monts old and has Windows 10 64 installed. I use it all day long 7 days a week. A few weeks ago I started experiencing strange events EVERY MORNING. Every morning the same thing happens. Some (but not all) of the icons in the quick launch area disappear) Then after a short while they start to return. If I reboot they come back and the computer works perfect all day. But the next morning it happens again. Also, other actions are unstable. for example, if I right click on the trash bin (or on the "this pc" icon or the other Windows 10 icons that link to storage drives, control panel etc) the little mouse circle appears from the screen. It will not go away until I double click on the screen. Once I double click on the screen the entire screen goes slightly gray for about 3 seconds and then the mouse circle disappears. Right clicking on most other desktop items (like some folders and other links) does not cause the mouse circle to appear. But as I continue to use the computer strange things continue to happen like maybe a particular folder won't open or a particular desktop link won't work or a function freezes up.

The frustrating thing is that I've asked elsewhere about the problems and get told to do this and that and then reboot to see if it fixes the issues. Well, every time I reboot all is fine and works perfect until the next morning. I NEVER have issues during the day. But every morning the same events occur again. Any help would be much appreciated. I've been to some other forums and am getting no help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:05 PM

Mine does the same thing; I have not yet found a solution; I'll be listen' in for any solution from here.  The only "solution" I ran across so far was something like:  "Just be patient, Windows takes awhile to boot and load."

Like you, I'm still searching.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 May 2016 - 03:35 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hdhooker

hdhooker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:34 PM

No, this is not a patience issue.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

• The only fix I've found is to reboot the computer.
  • When this event occurs (every morning) I've noticed that if I reboot the computer it fixes it but it takes a long time to reboot (maybe 4 minutes). But once I do that and all is well again that if I reboot the computer at any other time during the day that it only takes a minute or 2 for the reboot to complete.

I guess that the really odd thing about this is that THIS ONLY HAPPENS IN THE MORNING (EVERY MORNING). It NEVER happens during the day. So what goes on when the computer is not used at night (most often midnight 'til 9:00 or so in the morning that kicks these issues into action.

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

No, this is not a patience issue.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

• The only fix I've found is to reboot the computer.
  • When this event occurs (every morning) I've noticed that if I reboot the computer it fixes it but it takes a long time to reboot (maybe 4 minutes). But once I do that and all is well again that if I reboot the computer at any other time during the day that it only takes a minute or 2 for the reboot to complete.

I guess that the really odd thing about this is that THIS ONLY HAPPENS IN THE MORNING (EVERY MORNING). It NEVER happens during the day. So what goes on when the computer is not used at night (most often midnight 'til 9:00 or so in the morning that kicks these issues into action.

Does your computer go to sleep when you aren't using it? My guess is it's something to do when your computer sleeps/hibernates.

#5 hdhooker

hdhooker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

Thanks CHALUP  but no. That's what I thought too but I checked and the settings for both my computer and monitor are: "Go To Sleep:"  NEVER. But thanks for the response.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

If I understand what you're saying, this happens after you leave the computer on all night and haven't rebooted, right?  If that's the case, I'd download MalwareBytes and do a scan for malware.  After that I'd open an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  

If you want to speed up the time it takes to boot and load programs, get yourself an SSD to put your system on.  It will boot in under a minute.  240 GB SSDs can be bought for as little as $60 these days.

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 21 May 2016 - 10:50 AM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

Thanks CHALUP  but no. That's what I thought too but I checked and the settings for both my computer and monitor are: "Go To Sleep:"  NEVER. But thanks for the response.

How come you never allow your computer to go to sleep?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

A couple of things to try - as I think this is likely an explorer.exe issue, but may have video implications also.

First tho' - did you update this system to W10 from another OS?
Had the system been used a lot before updating to W10?

If so, this may be a consequence of the update process (most tech's will tell you not to update - that a clean install is the best way to go, otherwise you may get unexpected problems like this).

So, try this free program to check the explorer.exe shell extensions:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all of the non-Windows shell extensions (things like Microsoft Office extensions need to be disabled also).

Then reboot and see if the problem is fixed.

If it is, then re-enable them a few at a time to figure out which one is to blame.

Also, for the video, try this:

- download a fresh copy of the latest, W10 compatible video drivers for your system from the manufacturer's website

- uninstall your current video drivers using Control Panel...Programs and Features

- Then try this free program to get rid of the remnants:  http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

- then install the freshly downloaded drivers

- then test to see if the problem remains.

Good luck!

Just FYI - here's my canned speech for problems with W10 updates from other, older systems:

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:

1)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

2)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

3)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

4)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

Edited by usasma, 21 May 2016 - 05:46 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 hdhooker

hdhooker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

A couple of things to try - as I think this is likely an explorer.exe issue, but may have video implications also.

First tho' - did you update this system to W10 from another OS?
Had the system been used a lot before updating to W10?

If so, this may be a consequence of the update process (most tech's will tell you not to update - that a clean install is the best way to go, otherwise you may get unexpected problems like this).

So, try this free program to check the explorer.exe shell extensions:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all of the non-Windows shell extensions (things like Microsoft Office extensions need to be disabled also).

Then reboot and see if the problem is fixed.

If it is, then re-enable them a few at a time to figure out which one is to blame.

Also, for the video, try this:

- download a fresh copy of the latest, W10 compatible video drivers for your system from the manufacturer's website

- uninstall your current video drivers using Control Panel...Programs and Features

- Then try this free program to get rid of the remnants:  http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

- then install the freshly downloaded drivers

- then test to see if the problem remains.

Good luck!

Just FYI - here's my canned speech for problems with W10 updates from other, older systems:

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:

1)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

2)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

3)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

4)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

Thanks much for the response. I have tried some of the suggestions you made with no luck. Other suggestions are over my head (don't understand the instructions and/or terms used) so sorry about that. But I do appreciate you taking the time to try to help.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:56 PM

Go line by line through my suggestions.

When you get to a line that you have trouble with, post back here for clarification and we'll work our way through it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:58 PM

Delete icon cache this may resolve the issue download the batch script i have attached to my post.  Right click IconCache_Rebuilder.bat batch file and select "Run as administrator" from context menu. Before you run the batch script make sure to save all open files you working on and close all open programs because after running the batch script you will be prompted to restart the computer which you should do so.

[attachment=181013:IconCache_Rebuilder.bat]

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users